Chapter Five | Welcome

Wowie I changed the cover :00 how do yall like it?? also this gif has me shook.

.

.

.

.

.

Josh smiled softly, "I missed you too, Ty."

Their embrace lasted a few seconds more. When they pulled away, you stepped forward, catching Josh's attention. A look of curiosity overcame his face. "Who's this?" he asked. There was no sound of alarm in his voice.

Tyler turned to you. "Oh," he smiled, "This is Y/N." You stood awkwardly as you looked between the two of them. "I found her in DEMA."

Suddenly Josh's expression faltered. He looked concerned now. "Wait, wait- DEMA?!" Josh's shocked voice boomed. It was like he couldn't believe Tyler would even go near such a place. You didn't blame him. "Is that where you've been all this time? Tyler, please say no."

"No, no." Tyler reassured his panicked friend. He place a hand on Josh's upper arm comfortingly. "We'll have plenty of time to catch up later. For now, we should get back home."

Josh exhaled a relaxed breath and nodded. "You're right." he turned to you, a small friendly smile upon his lips. "Let's be on our way then."

*****

The three of you marched your way up a steep hill. As you gazed upwards, you noticed smoke float across the pale sky.

Tyler and Josh had been holding a long conversation of their own since you all left the sewers. Meanwhile, you strayed behind as you faintly listened to their friendly exchange and occasional soft laughter.

"So," Josh glanced over his shoulder. He slowed his pace briefly to allow you to catch up. "You were in DEMA, huh?" 

You nodded, responding with a simple "Yeah." You didn't bother making eye contact.

He frowned, noticing how distant and reserved you were being. Then again, these people were still strangers to you and so was this outside world. "Well, we are happy to have you with us tonight."

We?

Atop the hill, a campsite came into view. No, not like the pitiful one you and Tyler shared last night. This one was much much larger. There were tents placed throughout the area, all of which appeared to be made of the same cloth. A dusty shade of brown. Torches, similar to the one Josh carried, stood out from the ground. They weren't lit a flame quite yet though, as it was early morning. You could see backpacks, satchels, blades, and various other items scattered about the land. In the center was a fire pit. Unlike the torches, a bright lively flame burned amidst it with people gathered around, talking amongst themselves.

You wondered what this place was, and where all these people came from. Surely not DEMA, as they were all smiling and laughing. Surely not.

"Guys, look!"

"Tyler!"

Some people began to shout, exclaiming their excitement for Tyler's return. Apparently Josh wasn't the only one who missed him. So he left, quickly saying something to you though you didn't hear him at all since you were caught in a daze, young eyes entranced by the civilization that thrived before you.

"I better let some people know we've returned." You looked to Josh who's mocha brown eyes scanned the group. He then glanced down at you. "You can settle in, make yourself at home if you'd like." And with that, he was gone.

Great, now the two only people you've met so far have left you to defend for yourself. Huffing a sigh, you nervously made your way into the camp. You felt awkward and out of place, which was understandable, but still an uncomfortable feeling.

"Hey newbie!" A male voice shouted from somewhere. You searched for which direction it came from, and soon you were met with hazel eyes. They motioned for you to join them, and reluctantly you did so.

"So you're the new kid?"

Please don't be a douche."Uh, yeah, I guess so."

"Cool." He grinned, "I'm Ben. This here is Arya." He gestured to a girl with raven hair and pale skin. Her eyes were hazel as well, but Ben's were warmer. "She's our medic." He finished.

Arya waved her hand and greeted cheerfully. She definitely wasn't shy.

"And that's Sahlo," The other girl had her arm draped loosely around Arya's shoulder. She was a bit more buff than the raven-haired girl, and her shoulders were broader. Her hair was also shorter and shaved at the sides. "the medic's girlfriend."

Sahlo stuck out a friendly fist with a cool grin smoothed across her face. "Sup." You fist bumped her hesitantly, "You can just call me Sal."

You looked at Ben again. He had sun kissed skin and fiery brunette locks. Everything about him was... warm. His hair, his skin, his eyes..

"What's your name? Wait- let me guess. Is it Steve? You look like a Steve to me." He joked casually.

Even his voice was warm.

"Uh, no actually. Surprisingly enough, my names not Steve." You laughed shyly. "It's Y/N."

"Not as cool as Steve, but I'll accept it." He grinned at you in response, before looking to his friends and sitting down beside them. "Why don't you sit with us?"

"It'd beat moping around and not having anyone to talk to." Sal chimed in.

Arya smiled enthusiastically. "Yes, join us!"

It wouldn't hurt to get to know a few people here, would it?

.

.

.

.

.

i know, it sucks, but i tried. :p I mean, it's nearly 4 am over here and I've just been sobbing over how beautiful Tyler fucking Joseph is, so I might as well do something with my time if i'm gonna stay up late.