Chapter Thirteen | Sprained Secrets

How is everyone?

.

.

.

.

.

Tyler had woken you early in the morning, telling you in a hushed voice to follow him somewhere. You were skeptical, but too drowsy to voice your suspicions so you simply obliged. He lead you out of camp, and nobody seemed to give the two of you odd looks. Then again, most of the people were still asleep at this hour.

As you traveled through the misty air and dewy grass, you thought about Josh's recent behavior. Since the argument he had grown to be more distant and ghostly. With every passing day he appeared to look more ill than the day before. He was constantly skipping meals and rarely did he leave his bed unless he needed to use the restroom. You figured once Tyler had apologized, that everything would be okay. But it wasn't.

You suddenly recalled Josh never even said sorry himself. From what you remembered, he barely spoke at all lately. It was as if his thoughts drowned out his own voice.

"Look," Tyler slowed to a stop and you did the same. You followed his eyes, looking off into the distance. Though the sky was full and thick clouds of fog clung to the ground, you deciphered a tall looming shape that stood from far away. "That's the Tower of Silence." He said it in a near whisper, as if it were a sacred name.

The tower was of a darker shade, but from where you stood you couldn't decide if it was like a midnight sky or the color of fallen ash. Weird, you thought, I've lived in DEMA most of my life, yet I've never seen the tower up close. The building was always guarded and treated with the utmost respect as if it were some kind of religious temple. After all, it was where the Bishops resided.

"That night you awoke from a nightmare.." You turned to Tyler. You recalled the events you experienced and the images you saw behind closed eyes. The ominous man's yellow stare burned into your skull. "What was it about? The dream, I mean."

The fear you had felt in your sleep was returning. Rising from its grave, it made its way to your throat. You felt like you were suffocating, yet you breathed freely. "There was a man," You began. "I was lead down this hall, and.. and then I was taken by these strange people." You shook your head slightly at the memory. "He just watched. The man just watched while I struggled."

Tyler faced you. "Were you afraid?"

"Yes," You nodded.

"I know." He stared out at the Tower of Silence thoughtfully now. "Nicholas. That was who you saw in your dream." The name sounded oddly familiar, however you didn't understand why. Maybe it would come to you later.

"How do you know this?" Was your only question. You stared at Tyler quizzically while he remained silent.

"We better get going before the others wake up." He murmured aloud, turning and heading in the direction the two of you came from. Why does he keep doing this? You questioned angrily.

"You didn't answer the question, Tyler." You huffed in a bossy tone. Again, no response. "What are you hiding, huh? What secrets are you keeping from us?"

He stopped abruptly and turned around to stare down at you with a straight expression. Face to face. "Don't do this, Y/N."

"No! I want to know what's keeping you from trusting us. I understand if you don't want to tell some girl you met some days ago, but what about your best friend? You're literally killing Josh!" Anger flourished your face. Rosy cheeks, steaming ears, red grimace. "He hasn't eaten in days because of you!"

Tyler glanced to the side, seemingly considering to tell the truth, but the consideration didn't last long. "I'm sorry, Y/N. I can't."

You scoffed, shoving Tyler aside with an irritated nudge. "That's all you ever say, but you never mean it." Your feet stomped against the damp floor.

"Y/N, please, just listen to me-" He took hold of your wrist, causing you to whip around at such an incredible speed, that you ended up slipping and hitting the grass at an upsetting angle.

A groan escaped your lips as you fought to sit up comfortably, but the soreness you felt on your side and hindquarters made it hard. Though the pain wasn't as bad as the throbbing that pierced within your ankle. "Shit." You hissed between gritted teeth and instinctively moved your hands to foolishly grasp your leg, which only made the pain worse.

"Are you okay?" Tyler asked worriedly and bent over to look you in the face.

"Do I look okay, dipshit?" You barked at him in annoyance, which seemed to hurt his feelings a little. "Sorry, I just- It fucking hurts."

"I understand.." He inspected your ankle from a distance, eyes careful and glazed like crisp caramel. "It might just be a slight sprain, but i'm no doctor. I'll have to take you to Arya."

"You'll have to?" You said with an inquiring voice, wondering what he meant by that.

"Yep." Swiftly, he hooked his arms beneath your knees and your back, lifting you into his comforting grasp with ease. You wanted to fight back and stubbornly reject his offer to carry you, but you felt that'd be too childish. Besides, there had been too much arguing going on lately.

"Why won't you tell me what's going on, Tyler?"

Tyler hiked up the mountain, supporting your weight and holding you close with gentle care. "You'll know in due time."

.

.

.

.

.

sorrynotsorry

i've been holding in my pee for over 8 hours bc i keep forgetting to take care of my bladder and i have to go to the dentist tomorrow so that's fun