Chapter Twenty Four | Back On Track

SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING FOR THREE WEEKS BUT AAAAA HOW TF DID WE GET TO 3.4k READS WHILE I WAS GONE??? WTFFF last time i checked we were at 1.7k i think?? idk man this is wild

anyway happy new years i guess

.

.

.

.

.

Morning frost coated the window glass in a thin, cracked layer of ice. Frost covered the grass as well, and it slowly melted into dew droplets that fell from each small blade of greenery. The sky was a pale blue-gray, surprisingly empty of fog and rather lonesome. It looked sad. The sight made your mouth taste of icicles and cold metal. Pressure caved in on your chest and your heart burned like black ice.

Sal, Ben, and Jason all made their attempts to calm the frantic Josh who paced around in panicked circles. Stressed hands pulled at his growing strands of coffee brown hair and his swollen gaze flickered in a hundred directions.

Meanwhile you sat in the window sill, just as you had done the day before. Except this time you were dealing with an entirely new problem.

"Josh, please, just rela-"

The taller man interrupted Jason's reassurance, "Why does he keep pulling these idiotic stunts? Doesn't he know he's just going to end up getting himself killed someday?!" Josh was having trouble breathing. You could see it in the way his chest heaved quickly and how rushed his intake of oxygen was with every desperate breath.

Ben sat close by. "He'll come back soon, dude. Just chill." He shrugged his shoulders lightly and you pursed your lips at his wording. "Before you know it, Tyler will be walking straight through that door." Whether he was actually trying to help or not, it was a lame effort nonetheless and everyone else seemed to think the same.

"Again, and again, and again.." Josh groaned under his breath, deep frustration in his voice. "Why doesn't he ever stay? Doesn't he know how much I need him?" He sunk to the floor, waterfalls falling from his eyes in a mess of hot tears. "I need my best friend so fucking much and he just keeps abandoning me like the worthless piece of shit I am."

Jenna slowly strolled over to his side, seated herself on the concrete beside him, and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Listen," She started, staring deeply into Josh's wet eyes. "If Tyler really wanted to leave you, he would have done it a long time ago." Josh trembled in his spot, hands shaking and lips quivering. "I know I've only just met you guys and you have no reason to hear me out, but the connection between you and Tyler is the most real thing I have seen in ages."

Josh blinked down at the floor as Jenna's words seeped into his train of thought. "I'm sure he left with good intentions, and he'll come back to us when he's ready," She finished.

Everyone stood around, awaiting Josh's next reaction, but there wasn't one. He remained silent and kept his solemn gaze glued to the stone cold floor as if he was reading his thoughts off of its gray surface.

Tyler was afraid of something, that was for sure. Whether it was an opposing force in the outside world, or a battle with himself that he had to face alone, you still weren't sure what he was scared of. What you did know was that no matter what, you weren't going to let him fight his fears alone.

You stepped out from your place on the window sill and marched to the room you and Jenna had shared last night. When you returned to the cafeteria, a bag was slung over your shoulder.

Everyone looked your way as you headed towards the front door of the building. "What are you doing?" Sal questioned, and the other four seemed just as curious.

"Leaving." You muttered bluntly with a straight face and a monotone voice. "Someone has to go looking for Tyler, and it doesn't look like any of you are in a rush to do so."

"Now hold on a minute," Jason stepped forward as soon as your hand grasped the doorknob. "You can't just leave because you feel like it. It's a lot more dangerous out there than you might think, Y/N."

Ben shrugged from where he sat. "I don't know about that. I'm sure little miss badass over here can take care of herself." The brunette tossed you a sly wink, and you almost gagged in response.

"Ben, shut the fuck up." Sal hissed in the young boy's direction and he raised his brows.

"Alright, jeez, my bad." He looked to the side and muttered under his breath, "That time of the month, huh?"

"Look," Jason butted in once again whilst the two bickered off to the side. "Even if Y/N is responsible enough to look out for themself, they still don't know what they're getting themself into." He looked in your direction now, and you huffed a sigh. "Seriously, Y/N. Can't we discuss this first?"

"I'm going with."

Suddenly all eyes darted over to Josh, who lifted his own solemn gaze from the floor. "What?" Jason said, his brows slightly knitted.

"You heard me," Josh replied as he slowly rose to his feet, "I'm going with." His eyes met your own, and the taller male flashed you a small smile. You gave him one in return.

It was Jenna's turn to speak now. "Well if you two are leaving, then so am I." Her eyes flickered between you and Josh, then everyone else in the room.

You heard a frustrated sigh fall past Jason's lips, and the man pinched the bridge of his nose as he shook his head slightly. "Dear God, what are we getting ourselves into.." He looked up, and you could tell by the expression on his face that he was already regretting what he was about to say next. 

"Alright, it's decided." He peered around at all the faces in the room, his hands resting on either of his hips. "You have five minutes to pack your things." The blonde male stared at you, a look of determination hidden behind his eyes. "Our next stop; DEMA."

.

.

.

.

.

alright so this highkey sucks because i have writers block atm and im just lazy af + its sad boi hours so just have faith in me please. I'll try to update soon, and hopefully the next few chapters will be a whole lot better.