13.

'Sorry to keep you waiting...one of Papa's old friend called to find out how things are going' I told Hafiza Aunty, Karim's Sir mother who was waiting for me in the living room. Karim Sir told me that his mother will be coming over to discuss something.

'That's okay...it's good that people call to check on the two of you...Haya must be at school?' She asked me when I sat next to her. As always, she brought some home cooked food for us. She was not only kind but a very generous woman.

'Yes, I also started tuition for Haya...I sometimes lose interest or get too tired to help her with her homework so I thought it will be best for her to start taking tuition' I told her.

'That's good, you did the right thing' She smiled.

'Karim Sir told me you wanted to discuss something with me...is everything okay?' I asked her.

'Oh yes...yes everything is fine...it's' actually good news...we found a girl for Karim' She announced in excitement.

'That's such a wonderful news...oh, I am so happy to hear that, who is the girl?' I asked her.

'She lives in our neighborhood...very good girl, her name is Saba. Karim and she used to be in the same school when they were young, so they both know each other from before' She told me.

'I think I know her...one of my friends knows her family quite well. It's great that they both know each other...when is the wedding?' I asked her.

'Soon...in about two months...most of our family is here and so is theirs so there is no point in waiting' She told me.

'Ayat I actually came here to ask you for a favour...this weekend...Karim is going to Naran for a two-day volunteer camp and wanted Saba to join in...I have no problem with the two of them going there but Saba's parents want someone to accompany with her so I was thinking if you would be interested in going...Haya can stay with me' She said without hesitation.

'Hafiza Aunty you know I can't go...I can't leave Haya alone.' I told her straight away.

'Do you not trust me enough to let Haya stay with me for two days?' She looked at me with sadness.

'No...Aunty, it's not like that at all. We have known your family for years...trust is the last thing that is keeping me from agreeing to go with Saba...it's just that it's still all so new you know...Haya has been a lot more independent after Papa's death but still...I think leaving her on her own for two days will be just a little too much. Sorry but I can't go' I looked down at my hands unable to look at her in the eyes. She made a request with so much hope in her eyes and I denied her offer.

'I understand...you know Ayat I would have asked any other girl to accompany Saba but I knew I could only trust you...you have a way with people...you are very sensible and calm and you understand relationships and it's limits...I knew I could trust you' She said and it made the guilt even worse.

'Can you do me a favor Ayat? Ask Haya if she would be okay with staying with me for two days and besides, it's just me and Karim in the house anyway...and now that Karim will be gone I will be alone and I would like really to have some company as well. Ask Haya okay?' She made a request. Karim Sir's father died a couple of years of ago of sudden cardiac arrest and after that, it was just Karim Sir and his mother left in the house. That's how we became close, I started visiting their house more to keep his mother company and their family became kind of an extended family of ours.

'Okay...I will ask her but please I don't want to disappoint you. As far as I can tell...I won't be able to go...I think you should ask someone else to be sure' I warned her.

'Don't worry...I don't think Haya will not disappoint me' She patted my hand and a satisfied smile appeared on her face.

'Of course, you should go' Haya responded as soon as I told her about going to Naran. We were walking home from the market after shopping for some items for Haya's school project.