18.

Finally, after waiting for several hours in the waiting room, we were finally allowed to see him. Thankfully after all the check-ups and x-rays, the doctor informed us that since the bullet went right through his arm, there weren't any severe injuries.

'You guys can go see him...I'll wait here...maybe he doesn't want to see me' I told Saba and Karim Sir who stopped walking when they saw me not following them inside the room. After all the harsh words I said to Hamza, I wasn't too sure if he wanted to see me.

'As you wish Ayat, but I know for a fact he'll want to see you' She nodded in my direction before heading inside to go see Hamza along with Karim Sir. Minutes later, both walked out of the room and Karim Sir signaled me to go in.

'How is he?' I asked him before going in.

'Stable, still a bit heavy headed because of all the medications but he's awake' He responded.

'We'll be in the cafeteria...do you want anything?' Saba asked me.

'No... I'll see you guys later' I replied to her and watched them leave before entering the room to see Hamza. I opened the sliding door and slipped behind the curtains. At first, he looked like he was still sleeping, maybe he drifted off to sleep. But then slowly he opened his eyes and looked at me from under heavy lids.

'Ayat' His voice cracked when he said my name.

'You scared me to death' I pulled the chair over to the side of his bed and sat down.

'Sorry' He slightly smiled but I could see that he was in a lot of pain. There was a cast on his right arm and shoulder.

'Is it hurting a lot?' I asked him.

'I've seen better days' He tried to move to the side but grimaced at even the slightest movement.

'That was such a stupid question, I am sorry' I said to him, feeling embraced.

'Don't be sorry, I'll be okay' His voice was barely above a whisper. I reached out to take his hand as we looked at each other for a moment, not saying anything. Then we both opened our mouths to say something at the same time.

'Go ahead' He said with a hint of laughter.

'No...you' I shook my head.

'I was just going to say that I am glad you're here' He smiled at me and I squeezed his hand in response.

'Your turn' He asked me. I tried to stop myself from crying in front of him but failed.

'How did this happen?' I wiped away my tears quickly and asked him the question. He went quiet for a long time before answering my question.

'I couldn't really sleep after you guys left...I was just thinking about everything' He pulled his hand from mine slowly to readjust himself. Once he settled properly, he continued talking.

'So yeah I decided to go for a run...on my way back to the resort some guys stopped me and asked me for my wallet and they took away my stuff and this happened' I winced when he told me what happened. His face emphasized his increasing discomfort, so I decided that it was time for me to leave so he could rest.

'You need to rest' I began.

'I wish you didn't have to see me like this' He stared at me for a moment and my heart crushed.

'Please don't say that I am just glad you're okay. I'll be here when you wake...now close your eyes and try to sleep' I waited for him and it only took a brief minute until his eyelids grew heavy again and he fell asleep. I walked out of the room and went to go see Karim Sir and Saba in the cafeteria.