17.

'We won't be able to leave tonight, the roads are blocked due to protest at various points' Karim Sir informed me after he got off the phone while we were distributing care packages in a close knitted neighborhood later in the evening.

'Why... what happened?' I asked him when we got out of the house after interacting with the family that we went to go see to give winter clothes and some school and household supplies. Meeting each family along the way brightened my day more and more, up until now when I heard the news about the protest.

'It's not confirmed, I just know it's some type of a political protest' He told me. Saba and Mr.Hamza were in the house few blocks away so we decided to go and tell them the news.

'There is no other way for us to leave from here?' I asked Karim Sir on our drive back to the hotel. We didn't exactly know where the protest was taking place, so we decided to head back to avoid any problem and get more information to plan our journey back home.

Once we got to the hotel, the receptionist told us that the protest could last for a few days and that all major highway and roads out of this area were blocked.

'This is not good, Haya must be so worried. I shouldn't have come here' I picked up my phone and called her to tell her what was going on. I was afraid that she'll be upset with me for leaving her with Hafiza Aunty but she told me that she saw the news and knew what was happening. 

'I am so sorry...none of this would have happened if I stayed...' I said to her over the phone.

'Don't worry about me...I am absolutely fine here, Hafiza Aunty is taking very good care of me. Just keep us informed.' Haya passed the phone to Hafiza Aunty and I talked to her to make sure everything was okay.

'Thank you so much Hafiza Aunty...I'll call you later' I ended the call and went back to the main lobby where everyone was waiting for me.

'Sorry it took longer than expected' I sat down next to Saba and caught Mr.Hamza looking at me from across the hallway.

'What are they doing?' I asked her.

'They want to go to a hill station nearby' She informed me.

'What right now? It's almost 7' I looked at her. There was a protest going on and they were making a plan to go sightseeing already?

'I am not going' I told her.

'We are going' Mr.Hamza clapped his hands together when he made the announcement.

'Enjoy' I got up to leave but he stepped forward to block my way.

'We means us and it includes you' He looked down on me. I could see Karim Sir slightly smiling from behind him.

'I am tired' I told him and crossed my arms over my chest.

'No, you are not, you are just making excuses' He replied and followed my gesture.

'Mr. Hamza...' I opened my mouth to tell him to back off, but he snatched my bag from my hand and started walking outside the hotel towards the car. I followed him outside, while Karim Sir and Saba stood still and did nothing to help me.

'Why did you even come here if you were going to be such a spoilsport?' He suddenly stopped walking and I bumped into him. I immediately took a step back from him and he turned around to look at me.

'Can I please get my bag Mr.Hamza?' I told you I won't be coming along...can I leave now?' I extended my hand to take the bag from him, but he didn't hand it back to me.

'You shouldn't ask me this question Ayat' He replied in a serious tone and my eyes shot up to meet his.

'You want to keep the bag? Then keep it' I quickly looked away from him and walked back inside the hotel.