Chapter Three

Daniel's POV:

If my breakup wasn't messed up, I don't knowwhat was. 

Oh, wait: the new story with my "fiancé".

 I mean, I think Jalena isnice alright. 

She's beautiful, funny, creative, and fast-thinking. She's prettygreat. 

Nick on the other hand...I don't like his guts already, he hates mine too. 

Ican't wait to meet Mrs. Hayes. I hope she'll like me, because that would benice to rub in somebody's face.

 I'm curious though, why does Mrs. Hayes stilllike Nick if he broke her daughter's heart? That's weird. 

 –Dan, do you have water withyou?-I heard someone ask. Dan? That sounds nice. I took a water bottle out ofmy bag and gave it to Jalena. 

–Thanks, hun; you're the best.-This is awkward. 

What happened to the cold guy I used to be? That changed very fastwhen I saw Jalena. That's also weird. I just smiled at her. 

She owes me forthis. First it was the lies. Second, it was standing stupid, reading every tagto see if that was Jalena's or not. At least she only had one. I had two. 

 –We're here, Daniel.-She whispered.I opened my eyes that I closed ten minutes ago. We got out of the red ToyotaCamry, and took the suitcases. I followed Jalena as she slowly went up to anice looking house. She knocked on the door. 

A woman in mid-fifties cameout. 

 –Jalena!? –Shescreamed. My ears are going to bleed if that's her actual voice; so much for amother-in-law. –

Hey, Mom.-She hugged her back. 

 –Oh, I missedyou. –The lady wept. 

Nope, her voice is pretty normal. Good. 

 –Imissed you too, Mama. –Jalena whispered, but I heard it. They let go. 

 –Who isthis?-She asked, looking at me from head to toe. 

 –This is my fiancé, Daniel Cliff. –She said nervously. 

 –Hello, Mrs. Hayes. –I said. Therewas a five-second silence. 

 –I like you. –She said, laughing. I laughed too. There was a loud oomphas something fell. We turned around to see Nick on the road, red and confused, with one of my suitcases on his lap. Jalena giggled and startedlaughing, her mother joining. 

I looked at Nick with pride, coldness, andmockery. He glared back. –

You didn't tell me that you got engaged!-Her mother said. I heard hurtin her voice. 

 –Sorry, mom.I wanted it to be a surprise. –Jalena shrugged. Her mother nodded, believingher.

 –Well, come onin.-She said. –He's a hunk. –She whispered to her daughter.

 Jalena stole aglance towards me and blushed, as I smirked.

 –Couldn't agree withyou more, Mrs. Hayes. –I said, winking. The lady smiled. 

 –Call meVeronica, Danny boy; or mom, if you're already comfortable. –She said. 

 –I'll stick to Veronica right now, butI'll try to get there to Mom.-I said. She nodded. 

This is making me feeluncomfortable. Oh, well. 

 –I'll show youyour rooms. –She said. I nodded, following her upstairs. –This will be yourroom, and across is Jay's. –She said. 

 –Jay?-I asked. Who is that? 

 -Yes, that's what I always called Jalena. She didn't tell you?-Sheasked. 

 –Ithink she did, but I might've missed it.-I shrugged. She looked at mesuspiciously. 

–It was pretty rough for about two months.-I explained. –We fellapart, now we're together again, soon to be husband and wife.-I smiled. Shesmiled back. 

 –Well, put your stuff in your room, I'll go make brunch. –She said. 

 –Thank you, Veronica. –I hugged her. Sheseemed shocked but hugged me back. 

She went downstairs and I went into my room.It was nice. I looked around. Simple navy blue walls with white curtains. Iwhite bed with blue pillows, a small white rug, a white armchair, and a whitevanity set. I looked at the pictures hanging, noticing the beautiful view of awindmill, country life, and one picture with a dog. 

 –That'sBarney. –Jalena said behind me. I turned around. 

–I got an allergic reaction topeanuts when I was sixteen and I got him from my dad, sort of to make me feelbetter. He died five years ago. –She smiled sadly. 

 –The dog or your dad?-I asked. 

 –Barney. –She said. 

–My dad died when I was twelve. –She said. 

-I'm sorry. –I said. She shrugged.

-So you're allergic to peanuts? 

 -Yeah, peanuts and lilies. 

 –What about you?-Sheasked, looking straight in the eyes. 

 –Noallergies. 

 –Tell me about your parents. 

 –Oh, um, my parents...well,they live nearby, actually. I haven't seen them in two years. 

 –Andyour grandmother? –She asked. I smiled. 

 –That womanis the best. –I said. 

–She's always there for me, always has these ridiculousadvices that always help. She's a great woman; Christian too.-He said. 

 –So is my mom. Areyou?-She asked me. 

 –Yeah. I got saved three years ago. –I said. –But I'm still cold topeople at times.-I added honestly. 

 –That doesn't seem so.–Jalena smiled. I rolled my eyes. 

 –So how did we meet and how did I propose? –I asked. She blushed. 

 –How about we met at a café,fell in love, and you proposed there?-She asked. 

 –Cute.But there is a problem.-I said. 

 –Hm?-Shesaid. 

 –A café is a publicplace. What if a curious person starts asking questions?-I asked. 

–Nick forexample, goes to the café, asks if there were recent proposals, and all thatstuff. 

 –Good point. We don't have to tell the name, though. But then, knowingmy mom, she will ask. –She said. 

 –What about we meet insome alley or something, and that's where I propose? –I suggested. 

–I like theidea of proposing where we first met. –I said. She giggled. 

 –You're cute.-She said. Iscoffed.

 –I'm anything but cute. –I said. She smiled. 

 –Iagree with the alley idea. –Jalena said. 

–Add some red roses with long stems,rose petals, candles...-She looked dreamy. 

 –Too romantic. –I rolled my eyes.

 –That's thepoint. –She said. 

–Anyways, brunch is ready. –She said. I nodded. 

 –I'llbe there in a minute. –I said, and she left. 

I sat down on the bed and sighed. As a Christian, should I be lying right now? 

 What have I got myself into?