Chapter Four

Jalena's POV:

I came downstairs. 

 -Your fiancé is something else.-My mother said. I smiled. 

 –It really meant a lot that you accepted him, Mama.-I said. 

 –He's really nice.-She said. 

 –He's the best. –I said. 

 –Who, me?-Nick asked, coming in. 

 –No, me.-Daniel said, running down the stairs. 

 –Hey, darling. –He said to me, pecking my cheek. I blushed. 

 –She still blushes!-My mom squealed. Daniel laughed, hugging me tight from the back. 

 –Is Olivia home?-I asked, changing the subject. 

 –No, she'll be back in a few hours. –Mom smiled. 

 –Is Olivia your sister?-Daniel whispered. –Step-sister. –I whispered back.

 –I hope you like lasagna. –Mom said. 

 –My favorite. –Daniel said at the same time as Nick asked, –Again? 

–Yes, Nick, again. –Mom rolled her eyes. 

–You are becoming my favorite.-She said to Daniel. Daniel smiled, as Nick scoffed. 

–Have a seat. –Everybody sat down. 

 -Danny, boy, will you say grace?-Mom said. 

 –I'd be delighted to. –He said. We took hands. I felt sparks from my left hand, as something kept running down my right. 

Nick was caressing my hand. 

–Dear Heavenly Father, thank you so much for this day. Thank you for keeping us safe and healthy. Please bless this food and our words that we may glorify Your Name in everything we do and say. Please help, bless, and give to those that are in need. In Your Name, I pray, Amen.-He said. 

 –Amen.-We repeated. I never heard somebody pray so earnestly and honestly. It's like Daniel was actually talking to somebody. 

 –So you're a Christian?-Nick asked Daniel. 

 –I got saved three years ago.

 –Oh, I was Christian for all my life.-Nick bragged. 

 –But do you live like a Christian?-Daniel asked him calmly. –Do you actually think you deserve to be called a Christian?-He asked. Nick scoffed. 

 –Yes, I do. I live like a Christian should, and I deserve to be called that.-He said.

 –Nobody does.-Daniel said. Nick looked at him. –We all are sinners. Nobody deserves to be saved, to be called a Christian. Good works won't get you to heaven; you need a personal relationship with God.-He said, taking another piece of lasagna. 

 –Sweetie, can you please give me some salad?-I asked, trying to ease up the conversation. 

 –It has peanuts, honey. –He said gently.

 –Right. –I said. 

–Mom, do you have another salad? I really need to eat something green.-I said. 

 –It's in the fridge, dear.-Mom said. 

–You know she's allergic to peanuts?-She asked.

 –Of course!-Daniel said.