( 9. ) Fanfiction ✓

This is my specialty. So let's get started. You like a band, a tv show, a movie, etc... So you seek to make more out of what it really is, thus resulting in you creating the magical art of fanfiction.

This is really a simple creation, but it takes time. You should never rush or force out an idea. Your fanfiction can be as realistic as following the entire script of a movie with small little detail twists, or it can be as far away from the actual plot as possible, not relating to it in any ways. That, my friend, is called an AU.

AU– Alternative Universe; This is when you basically take the characters from a show, or something, and throw them into a totally different environment. You can do anything you want with these and get super creative.

Now, let's talk about realism. It is never okay to take something by its complete script. You might as well just slap your name onto the credits and claim it as your own. It is perfectly okay to change the script! Add your own words, take some out, or just change the order of how things are said and done.

Always remember to give credit to the authors/producers/bands/songs, basically anything you use that isn't yours. This includes gifs and edits made by other people. You should ask for their permission before using their creative works, then make sure they get the credit they deserve.

PLOTS OF FANFIC

Being an active Wattpad member for over four years has really showed me the best to worst plots when it comes to fanfiction. There are the way overused ones, that you'll probably see at the very top of your search.

Those include:
—Little Sister/Sister of...
—Bad Boy/Good Girl
—Adopted by...
—Kidnapped by...
—Bullied by...

Yes, I'm talking about you One Direction. Shame.

Let me talk about why 3/5 on that list are wrong in so many ways. The adoption stories are rarely decent, but sometimes they trail off into a much larger picture. There are some where the "adopted teenage girl" falls in love with one of the adopters, which is so wrong. I shouldn't have to explain why.

And then, kidnapping stories. They always fall in love with their kidnapper. I know, if I was kidnapped by Harry Styles, I would fall in love, too. But they tend to make the kidnapper, whether they're in a band or whatever, a nobody. They're unknown, it's an AU, for sure. So in this case, when you fall in love with your kidnapper, that's some Investigation Discovery type shit. That's called Stockholm Syndrome. Cue the One Direction.

Now, the worst fanfiction plot you could ever use is the idea of falling in love with your bully. Someone who torments you day-to-day, abuses you mentally, emotionally, physically..., and much more should never be even thought of as a love interest. The bigger story behind that, is abusive type stories, which I won't get into right now. That's another rant for another chapter, soon.

The whole idea for redemption is great. But it should not be romanticized.