( 12. ) Writing Fighting ✓

FIST FIGHTING
Fist fighting is probably the most dramatic form of fighting in stories and whatnot. It's much more contact, up close and personal with the "opponent". Realize when writing this, much more emotion is brought out of all characters involved in this type of fighting.

Try not to overuse words like fists or knuckles. knowing you would want to describe them. Be as descriptive as possible when doing so and try to avoid dialogue. Some dialogue is fine, but keep in mind, they're in a fight. It should be taunting, insults, or muttered swear words depending on whether or not they're losing the fight.

Ex: José met with Eric on the courtyard, his mind set on showing the other man that he was one not to be messed with. His eyes shred through Eric with much hatred as he approached with a sly grin, assuming he would win this. Eric opens his mouth to speak out a smart comment before the fight broke out, but José wasted no time connecting his fist with Eric's jaw. The other man stumbled back in pure shock, not given enough time to retaliate when José began to beat the living shit out of him.

Keywords. Use them and you can get by with anything.

FIGHTING WITH MELEE
You have bats, pipes, and wrenches. Oh, don't forget the sword! Melee fighting is going to be ranked your second most dramatic form of fighting. Alike fist fighting, it is up close. However, with weapons, the opponents tend to not have a personal hatred for each other. It is more physical instead of emotional.

Use keywords like; swings, force, and hit.

Ex: Fredrick did not usually steam off so much hate for the opposing team during baseball season, but one particular member really angered him. He had enough of his taunting, storming up to the boy as he clutched his bat tightly in his hands. Before anyone could react, Fredrick swings the bat to the boy's leg, using as much force as he could muster up.

"AIMING/THROWING" WEAPONS
There is a large category, more than just guns so I don't exactly know what to call it. But this form of fighting is generally used when the ones fighting don't actually know each other or have nothing personal withheld to the other. Close-range or long-range, just know what weapons your talking about.

There are, guns— many, many, so do your research, bow & arrow, crossbow, grenades, bombs, (etc...).

Use keywords such as; aim, pierced, fired, and grazed.

Ex: Ursula aimed her weapon at the guard who was too busy neglecting his job to even notice that she was currently trespassing. Without a second doubt, she fired her gun and ended his life.

[ Remember your character's skill, emotional balance, and physical build when you're writing a fight scene with them. These are all factors to make it go right or wrong. ]