( 16. ) Survival Stories ✓

Shampoo, what is that?

Let's be honest here, whether you're running from zombies or you just crash landed on a planet you assumed to be dead, you are not going to be worried about keeping your hair kept up and your appearance fresh. You will be more focused on finding food and resources, building a fire, learning survival skills, but you are not going to be worried about when you're next shower is.

What I love seeing in these types of situations, is when the characters go so long without hot showers, that when they are offered the idea, it is foreign to them. They savor that burst moment when they have fresh, hot water, because it is a desire rather than a necessity.

Characters are not born with survival skills, unless you're Daryl Dixon. They are taught and it is your job as the writer to explain;

( A. ) How they obtained the skill, if it is given at the beginning of the story.
i.e; a flashback of their career as an officer

( B. ) How they gain the skill throughout the story. Mention the fails and successes of their learning process.
i.e; burns themself trying to start a fire or aim is terrible when using a gun

PAIN
You break your arms and in a week, you're all fine. No, that's not how it works. If you choose to physically disable your character, you need to know the timeline and disadvantages it will push onto them. You can mention how irritated they are, or how it still hurts if they move it the wrong way. Don't forget about the major pain you inflict on your character because it does not just go away.

SCARS
This goes along with pain. Scars appear very often and it can be as little as a scrape to a stab, just know that they exist. But along with that, you don't have to mention it every chapter.

WEAPONS
I know literally nothing about guns, but luckily for all of us there is a thing called Google where you can research whatever type you're looking for. You can find all of the information you're looking for, but be sure to use a private browser in case the government comes knocking at your door, asking why you've researched 50 different types of rocket launchers.

Melee, bats and swords. That type of stuff. Anything can be a melee weapon. My personal favorite is the frying pan.

Bow & Arrow  vs.  Crossbow. Most people don't know, but there is a difference between these two thing. A crossbow is automatic. A bow and arrow is all manual.

CROSSBOW

BOW & ARROW

BOW & ARROW

Okay, hope that cleared up the confusion

Okay, hope that cleared up the confusion. Now if you have anymore questions about survival stories, feel free to comment or ask Google.