5: The Green Monster

Boyfriend – Best Coast <3

______________________________________________________________

The rest of the week passed by in a blur. 

Her first actual class with Lewis wasn't as bad as she thought it'd be. On his part that is. The students ruined it. Three quarters of them knew who she was. Either they just plain stared at her or they tapped her to ask about the NASA programme she worked with. She couldn't deny that it wasn't too bad to answer a few questions but during the lecture she could feel all of their stares and it made her feel extremely uncomfortable. 

She managed to finish the paper work for Thursday but it took a toll on her sleep pattern. She barely got six hours sleep that night. But it's done! And she was glad!

Harriet and Amy have been meeting up in the mornings before classes for coffee at the campus cafe. But during lunch, she spent it with Micah. She saw him on the Tuesday sitting in the same spot with the same sandwich but instead of coke, he had Mountain Dew. As soon as she'd sat down he smiled and said, "Anxious to hear my story, it seems?"

He'd kept his promise and told her about how he became blind. "It was a stupid mistake really.  I was four years old. At my old house down in Chicago there was-"

"You're American?"

He'd started to laugh. "Amy."

"Right, sorry."

"At the back of my house there was this old electric panel in the tool shed that'd been out for years. Mom told me not to ever go in so I didn't. But that didn't stop my cat from squeezing her way through the hole in the door. I followed her in, she jumped on the large rusted box and I stupidly jumped on top to grab her. I fell right in."

Amy had wanted to cry but she had a feeling he would know. 

"Basically the electric shock caused a disturbance in the neural firing which caused the nodes in my brain to receive mixed signals sort of like a bad TV antenna. I was lucky to get out alive really."

Amy had inhaled a shaky breath and awkwardly patted his arm. "You don't need me to say sorry."

"You continue to surprise me. People I've told, most of them have come out with, 'I'm sorry, I understand how you feel, blah.' It was a long time ago it's nothing now. I'm still alive, which is more than I can say for my cat, but that's what matters. I have four other senses I can rely on." He may have winked behind his sunglasses but she couldn't tell.

Amy introduced him to Evie on Thursday and in exchange she was introduced to her current house mates Lucas, Damien and of course Laura. Laura remembered her well from the first time they met and welcomed her with open arms. 

"They still don't know about Michael," Evie told her later that evening over the phone. "I have no idea how I'm going to tell them I'm moving out. They know I have a boyfriend and they've been nagging me for over a year to bring him over. It's going to kill Laura."

Amy couldn't wait to see how that played out.

Today, Friday, is the only day Harriet called to say she was slightly late. Harriet was a great woman. The Australian didn't sensor her speech whatsoever around Amy and in a way she loved it. Some of the things she came out with shocked her but it made her laugh nonetheless. On Wednesday she'd talked about her husband, Derek, a little bit. The best thing she could say about him was: "He can satisfy the legs off a woman by just looking at them. Never mind his personality; he's a prick at times. But he's my prick."

She almost choked on her bagel from laughter.

Amy tied her hair into a messy bun, adjusted her black skirt after crossing her leg over the other and turned the page of her Astrology notes. Lewis was preparing a little surprise test for the second years structural analysis of material's lecture.