14: Scenarios

The song for this chapter is relevant for later on so have a listen

What You Do To Me – Blakroc <----

_______________________________________________

"Hello?"

"Happy Birthday baby sister. Well, not so baby anymore, I actually can't believe you're twenty-one."

"Thanks Morgan, one second." Amy excused herself from hers and Micah's table in the cafeteria. "Okay."

"How's life up in Canada?"

"It's actually alright." 

"So, um, what have you been, you know, doing?"

Amy recognised her older sister's, 'inquisition' voice before she even finished the question. "What has Matty said?"

"Not much. Except you've been canoodling with a boy. Or man should I say."

"I'm not canoodling with anyone," She lied horribly. God, she hated lying.

"Oh stop lying to me you boob. You've been there for only two months and you've managed to bone someone?"

"What is it with the word boning?" She mumbled more to herself as she strolled down the hall. "I'm not 'boning', as you so crudely put it, anyone. Matty is over exaggerating."

"Yeah. Sure. Anyhow, this Christmas, since you're going to be staying in Canada I'm coming up."

Her sister's attention span was astounding. "What? Morg, what about mom and dad?"

"They're going to Europe. Come on, I miss you and Matty and Jen! Oh my gosh, I can't believe Jen's pregnant! Matty told me your reaction. Totally priceless..."

As her sister rambled on, she watched the crowd of football players barrelling down the hall thinking if they're here, that meant John would be popping up. They hadn't seen each other since Tuesday but they talked a lot over the phone, usually around midnight or really late. She wasn't aware he didn't sleep well. He slept just fine when he was over on Saturday. But it had her thinking, maybe his insomnia had something to do with his past. 

"...idiot, stupid head, nerd-"

Amy blinked coming back to reality. "What?"

"You totally weren't listening."

"No, I wasn't." She trailed off because she spotted him. Looking completely dirty, sweaty and... Well, he didn't look happy at all. He was patiently listening to one of the boys but his jaw was ticking and he didn't look at all interested.

"...Four eyes, shorty."

"Morgan!"

"Stop zoning out on me, Amy."

"I have to go." She mumbled when John caught her eye. "I'll call you later."

Her sister sighed over the line. "Fine. Have a great day. And don't be too much of a sour sap at your party. Love you."

They hung up together and Amy decided to meet John half way. He looked just as murderous as he did that day he sent her that evil look. Except this time he smiled tightly at her and opened his arms. "Happy birthday."

She narrowed her eyes. "You're sweaty and dirty."

"I'm entitled to a hug." And just like that he engulfed her into a bear hug and lifted her off the ground. Even his hug seemed oddly strained and tense. "And besides you only turn twenty-one, once." He whispered into her ear as he put her on her tiptoes. His lips pressed to her cheek. "Happy birthday, Amy."