18: Uneventful Halloween

Blood Bank - Bon Iver  <3333333

____________________

"So how's New York?"

"Ugh, it's a freaking drag Amy, I miss you."

"I miss you too. You know I do."

"You could have called more?"

"It's a two way street, Chels."

"Well, I don't want to pay the overseas charges."

Amy smiled into her coffee. "It's not really overseas, honey."

"Might as well be the charges for these calls piss me off." 

Her eyes darted to the opening cafe door and she smiled at Harriet and Lewis. "I'm paying for it."

"True. Enough about that but the fact you got with that gorgeous guy we met in the park those many years ago. Proud of you. Evie told me. I'm surprised you didn't."

"Because it's not serious." Lying through her teeth which she despised.

"Not what Evie said?"

"I'm sure it's not what she said but I'm telling the truth."

Her friend snorted over the line. "I know when you're lying sweetie."

"Chelsea I'm meeting colleagues can I call you later?"

"Sure but this is far from over. Love you, babe."

 Lewis and Harriet sat down just as she hung up. "Hey,"

"Hey Ames." Lew greeted with a smirk.

"Amy, I want you over for dinner Saturday night."

She started laughing. "Um, okay. Any particular occasion?"

"Nope. None at all just a nice night in with family and a friend. Lew and Derek will be there won't you Lewis?"

He rolled his eyes. "By force. I'm very unwilling; her cooking is enough to tranquilize a horse."

"That is why Derek is cooking." She scolded.

A breeze blew in as the door opened. "Ready for our two hour lecture?" Lewis asked after finishing his coffee.

"God, no." Amy replied. "I don't have the strength, I'm so tired."

"Really?" Harriet smirked. "What have you been doing?"

"Yes, what have you been doing?"

All eyes turned to the one man that plagued her thoughts and fantasies for the past few days... or even months. She knew as well as him that something had changed between them. His stares were almost the same but they were so much more intense. And whenever he touched her... She couldn't think, couldn't concentrate. She yearned for him more than ever. 

The night Amy had stayed over had been so spontaneous she was surprised she even had the courage to do it. But his happy memory had shocked her; not once did she think his family were dead, it didn't even cross her mind. 

She snuck out early the next morning. Harsh, she knew that but Amy had found herself stroking his hair away from his vulnerable face and watching him. A clear sign that she needed to leave before she did something stupid. He didn't seem to mind. He'd called Sunday like it didn't matter. There was an edge to his voice but he didn't say anything.

Honestly, he seemed to be sleeping well. He hadn't called her over or vice versa. She wished he did.

John's gaze swept over her face and a clear as day, genuine smile lit his face. The past few days she'd found herself thinking about him. Thinking about him intimately. The pit of her stomach bubbled with warmth when he dipped and pressed a sweet kiss to her cheek. Her cheek tingled.