19: Slow Confession

(Dedicated to you, Andy. Happy early Birthday present!!)

***Sexual content warning***

The Rubens – I'll Surely Die

>>>Disclaimer: I do not own the first quoted/highlighted section of this chapter in any way. All rights go to the author of the 'Sookie Stackhouse' series.<<<

____________________________________________

'He leaned against me like a tired child. By now, a human guy would have made a huge effort to pull himself together. He'd be embarrassed to show vulnerability. Dermot seemed quite willing to let me comfort him.

"Are you feeling better now?"

He inhaled deeply. I knew he was drawing in my--'

"Amy!"

She sighed heavily, closing her worn out copy of one of the Sookie Stackhouse novels. "What?"

"Your boyfriend is here! I'm going to meet a few friends at the bar!"

"Okay, send him-!"

The boyfriend in question knocked on her door and entered with a wonderful smile on his face. Her stomach fluttered, a feeling she'd been trying to cage since her talk with Katherine last Wednesday. John stepped further into the room, shutting the door behind him. He sported a pair of worn jeans and a plain black t-shirt tonight so she assumed he wasn't staying.

"Hello Amy."

She didn't know what came over her but she threw her book across the room, gaining a confused look from him. "What-?"

"Nothing." She reassured but he walked across the room to find the book. "Leave it, John."

"Was it a steamy novel, Butler?"

"No, you prude."

He picked up the book and grimaced. "Oh. It's this."

She couldn't help but roll her eyes as she stood up and took it from his hands. "Why are you so against this novel?"

"Because it's stupid."

"You're stupid."

A smile spread across his lips and he wrapped an arm around her waist to pull her against him. "What a childish comeback."

"The truth hurts though doesn't it?" Her head tilted to the side and he shook his head.

"Well, aren't you slightly feisty tonight?"

"Only with you."

"Mmm..." He pressed a sweet kiss to her lips before letting her go and collapsing onto her bed. "What song is this?"

"The Rubens, I'll Surely Die."

"Sounds good." He mumbled rubbing a hand over his eyes, still gripping onto her book. 

"Give it back to me."

"No, I want to see it. Come here while I read a few pages?"

She crossed her arms over her chest and frowned. 

"Come on, lie with me?"

A heavy sigh escaped her lips as she grabbed the iDoc remote and lay beside him. He grabbed her legs and rested them across his as he opened the pages. "There are more than nine books?"