Part 3: Blood ~ Chapter 9

"Zoey? Hey, Zoey..." Gwen waved her hand in front of Zoey's face, but she didn't respond. With a sigh, she undid Zoey's seatbelt and helped her out of the car. "Come on; you can lean on me, but I do need you to walk. Yes, thank you. Come, we'll go upstairs. I'll make you a nice cup of tea."

Slowly, she managed to escort Zoey through the reception and into the elevator. When they entered the second elevator, Zoey started to tremble. Before the doors opened again, she was silently crying. Gwen tried her best to console her, but Zoey didn't seem to be listening.

Lucius is still here, her mind screamed as she was escorted to her room. He's still here and he saw me. He knows I'm alive. The thought played on repeat until she was seated onto her bed.

"I'll be right back, okay?" Gwen said as she walked out.

She's getting Lucius.

The thought sent shivers up her spine and caused her skin to break out in gooseflesh. Her gaze darted across the room.

What do I do? What do I do?

She trembled and started to bite her already short nails.

What will he do when he finds me?

Memories of the terrible grinder flashed before her mind's eye and she snivelled.

How did he find me? Did someone tell? Her head spun from fear and paranoia. Are they all in it together? Was this all a test from the start?

She yelped as a sharp pain shot through her finger. She looked down and realised she had bitten her left thumb too far—she had drawn blood. The sight of the purplish substance grounded her.

I'm like him now. She smirked. I won't die as ... easily... Her smile faltered as she realised the horrid potential of torturing a transcended.

She gripped her hair and whimpered as she rocked back and forth.

That woman, was she transcended? Is that why she didn't die? Whatever did she do to deserve such a terrible fate? She groaned. Whatever did I do to deserve his hatred so? Was it really all just because I got close and almost had him arrested? Was it because of the kids? Of interrupting his experiments on them?

She shook her head as she kept rocking.

No, no, no. No, he's just a sadistic lunatic. He gets off from inflicting pain. He enjoys watching me break down. She gritted her teeth. I bet they are working together with him to drive me insane.

Anger was slowly pushing away her fear.

I wonder if they have cameras in this room. Would there be one behind the mirror? Did they watch as I removed my eye?

She rose and made her way to the bathroom. Brows furrowed, she stared at her reflection. The eyepatch made her look both silly and badass, though her other eye—all teared up—undid it all and just made her look sad.

Is this a normal mirror? She inspected it, tried to take it off, but it was sealed to the wall. "Are you watching me right now?" she asked out loud. "Well, fuck you." She grabbed the hairbrush that laid in front of her and used it to smash the mirror.

She sneered as her reflection fractured, small pieces of glass falling onto the counter.

I bet they haven't even been feeding me human flesh, just so they could watch me go feral.

Her blood now boiling with rage, she hit the mirror, again and again.

-