Part 3: Blood ~ Chapter 19

Okay, how long do I have to wait? Zoey shifted, the floor anything but comfortable. She traced her finger along the many carved letters on her arm. If he were to visit every single day, they would look a lot less healed, no?

She grunted and looked up. The wheelchair caught her eye and she grimaced.

I should try again... Then I can go and look for him, maybe take him by surprise? I don't know what time it is, but if he's sleeping... She smirked, liking the idea of assassinating Lucius in his sleep.

She made her way back to the wheelchair and set it upright again. The brakes were still on, but she took them off and pushed the chair up against the wall before reinstating the brakes.

Okay, that should help avoid it from toppling forward. Now how to get in...

She looked around the room for anything she could use as a step. The bedside table was too high—but it wasn't that broad. Grinning, she crawled over, wheeled it to the chair and tipped it. She pushed it against the front, creating a little step. Next, she went to get the IV stand and rolled it next to the chair. Pleased with her own wit, she climbed on top of the table's side and into the chair. With a smug smile, she turned around and plopped down.

Oh yeah, I win!

She took the IV stand and used it to shove the table away. With the path in front of her now clear, she released the brakes. She wheeled over to the door, but before opening it she checked herself. She straightened her shirt, but feeling too self-conscious, she went back to the bed and removed one of the blankets to cover her legs. After patting the filled syringes on either side of the diaper, she returned to the door and opened it—but it opened inwards and the wheelchair was in the way. With a lot of frustrated grunts, she moved back and forth with the chair as she tried to get it open far enough to let her through. Finally, she was able to roll out into the hallway.

Okay, so where to?

She had no clue where she was. Hoping she could still operate the elevator—Gwen had given her clearance to some floors—she searched for that and found it after a few turns. She placed her thumb on the console and her heart leapt as it activated. Smiling, she waited patiently for the elevator to arrive. When it did, she used her thumb again to open it. She rolled inside and pressed on the button that led to the floor where her quarters were. After another scan, the elevator activated.

If Lucius is staying anywhere, it's probably on the same floor. She chewed on a fingernail. But how to find the right room?

The elevator arrived, and, after a final scan, she exited the confined space. She looked at all the doors in the hallway as she slowly wheeled by. She stopped and held her breath, listening for any sound that might betray what was happening behind all the locked doors. Aside from the blood flowing in her veins, she could pick up someone chattering in Russian close by and music in the distance. Not recognising the voice as Lucius, she rolled on.

The music got louder but it didn't sound like anything Lucius would listen to, so she continued. She covered the entire hallway and went around the bend into the next. So far, most of the rooms were either silent or filled with the sounds of a TV show or movie. She was almost at the end of the second hallway when she heard a door open in the distance. She stopped and strained her ears.

A female voice said something in a language unknown to her, followed by a male voice replying and a different woman giggling. The door closed and the two women chattered happily as they seemingly made their way to the elevator.

Zoey frowned. Was that Gwen? It sounded like Gwen. She turned the wheelchair around and made her way back, careful to not round the bend before she heard the ding of the elevator followed by a few extra seconds so she was certain it had closed. If that was Gwen with Isa, then who was the man? The voice sounded too deep for Lucius... Kyron maybe?