Chapter Twenty Eight

Location Unknown

Dion stared lost in thought after he'd read the latest message from Orchid. He tossed the device across the white desk toward Oscar.  "It would appear that an opening to whisk Xara away may be coming up sooner than we would have thought."

"Really," sighed Oscar his long fingers stroked the beard he'd had added to his chin while they were on Rayia.  He picked up the device, his new glassy reddish brown eyes scanned the screen slowly once than a second time as he reread the message. 

"You've got to be joking," he chuckled, his distaste obvious, as he threw the device on the desk.  "You honestly believe we can waltz into that engagement party and just sweep her away?  And what pray tell did you have in mind for a distraction?"  Sarcasm dripped from Oscar as he waited for Dion's replay.

Dion steepled his fingers and leaned into the desk his gaze icy cold.  "According to Orchid it will be a large gathering held outside in the Water District." Dion scratched his head as he stared at the message.  "Orchid will be attending as a guest of the soon to be bride, Ruby Hands."  

"And that means nothing." Oscar rolled his eyes as he picked up the device, his fingers flicked through the screens until he found the official announcement in the Alliance News.  "According to this the Sinclair’s, Lawson’s and Nobles will all be in attendance.  How exactly do you -?"

Dion sat back in the chair a flash of concern crossed his face before he quickly hid it.  "It's already arranged.  They will be watching Orchid expecting so something from her with that distraction I'll be able to walk in and take Xara before they realize it.  I've already contacted an old 'friend' to have us placed on the list for the party."

"A friend," asked Oscar skeptically.

Dion chuckled as he titled his head back to rest on the chair.  "As Dion O'Mallory and Dion Mace I am a wanted man but this fellow knew me when I was Mark Gilmore Ingram."

"Mark Ingram," repeated Oscar slowly his expression closing.  "I didn't think you remembered your days at primary school."

"I remember a little," smiled Dion proudly.  "Not a lot because it's a blur but I remembered him and he me."

"That does explain the work you've had down," frowned Oscar masking his worry as he took in Dion's bright red hair, dark brown eyes, new nose, dark pink pouty lips and sun kissed skin.  "And the morning workouts," he grumbled as he grudgingly took in Dion's frame.

Dion's wearily took in his father's stony look, "As a kid I vaguely remember having red hair and dark brown eyes.  I also remember playing in a field behind our house. "

"You remember that," repeated Oscar quietly his eyes glaciers as they stared at Dion." The ice quickly melted away quickly replaced by a stiff smile when he saw the questioning look from Dion.  Oscar coughed into his hand before he continued, "There's still a flaw in your plan.  You are being overly cocky when your plan can and will still fail."

"Oh father," mocked Dion, "would you miss me if I were to be captured?  Would you have every contact you have searching for me like you did Sebastian?  Would you use all your markers so that you could get close enough to snatch me away?"  Dion gave Oscar a faux sad look before he smiled cockily, "Didn't know I knew you'd done all that huh?"

Oscar frown darkened as he glared at Dion. "As if," mumbled Oscar moving to his feet.  "I'm more afraid that if you were captured you'd sing like a canary to save yourself from death."

"Sing like a canary," repeated Dion with a small frown.  "I'm not familiar with that saying.  But I believe that's your attempt to insult me."  Dion raised his left hand and glanced at his nails.  "Sebastian has obviously given them a lot to keep himself and Xara alive.  Three of our facilities have been raided, the notes confiscated and everyone inside dead."