Chapter 7

Matto's POV

    I knew that she would ask questions after seeing Tenaya shift, but I hadn't figured out what to say. She stared at me patiently waiting for my response. I searched her eyes and body language for any signs of fear and there was none, so I decided to tell her the truth. "Yes Kendra, we are all wolves. It is in our blood, our heritage. Does this scare you?" She sat and pondered for a minute then shook her head.

"No, I am not scared of you or your family. I am however frightened by the other wolf I saw." I took a deep breath because now I had to tell her what was happening.

"About that other wolf, there are two more with him. He is also a werewolf, for a better sense of the word. Jace thinks that him and his buddies are Rogue. Meaning they left the pack they are originally from and are highly dangerous. They don't follow the same rules that the rest of us follow." She looked at me and I could see all sorts of questions burning in her eyes. She was handling this better than I thought she would. She should be running away screaming by now but instead, she had a somewhat peaceful look to her.

"So what happens now? Why does this other wolf keep following me?" She asked me. I could see a little bit of confusion in her eyes. Honestly, I wasn't sure how to answer that question yet.

"I'm not sure. He obviously has some sort of objective but I don't know what or why. Usually, our kind doesn't hunt down a human like this, but with them being rogue who knows. Unless you are one of us too he shouldn't be this obsessed with you." Her eyes got wide and I could see her processing something in her head.

"Well, how would I know if I was? I mean I have never shifted into a wolf that I know of." I laughed a little at her. She was amazing, here I am telling her that she is being hunted by a werewolf and might be in danger and she wants to know if she is one. "I'm serious Matto. Obviously, this other wolf has an obsession with me, don't you think it is weird?"

    "Yes, I do think it is weird. That is why everyone is out tracking him. I stayed behind to protect you. We will get to the bottom of this." She seemed to calm down and took my hand.

"Thank you, Matto. You already have done more for me than any man ever has, well except for Paxton. He stayed by my side after my ex tried to kill me." I felt an anger rise in me when she said this and also curiosity.

"Tell me about your ex." She looked at me and I could see the pain in her eyes.

"His name is Ryker. We were together for about six months before I finally agreed to move in with him. He was so nice and sweet in the beginning, but as soon as I moved in he changed. He became possessive and controlling. I was cut off from everyone except my friend Audrey, I refused to be cut off from her. One night I came home from work and caught him in bed with another woman. I left him and ran straight to Audrey's house, which was a mistake. He showed up one night when I was alone and knocked me around for a little bit." She paused for a moment and I saw a tear in her eye. I took her hand in mine and smiled at her.

"You don't have to tell me anything else if you don't want to," I said to her.

    She smiled back at me and then took a deep breath. "I want to if you think it might help." I nodded at her.

"It might help, at least it will give me an insight into your life a little." She continued.

"When Audrey came home he told me to get rid of her or he would kill her. So I went out and talked with her but slipped her a note telling her what was happening. She played along and when she left the house she got help. When the police arrived Ryker held a knife to my throat and then stabbed me in the leg when I tried to get away. Long story short he was arrested, but right before we came here I got a call that he had escaped." That last part made me wonder.