Chapter 4

Second day of work, and you've already forgotten the difference between the lavender and lilac colored files. Good job, Alexa.

I frowned, but utterly frustrated and unable to choose, gave up and collapsed in my chair. This job was starting to seem impossible and all I was being asked to do so far was fetch files. My mother definitely did not do a good enough job convincing me not to take the job. I really though it would be just getting coffee and lunch. She mentioned many things in her efforts to scare me, but knowing the color wheel to heart was not one of them.

Knock, knock.

I turned in my chair to see Gretchen standing at the door with a pitiful smile on her face. "Need to phone a friend?" She giggled.

I scowled at the pile of files on my desk. "I need to phone my own personal assistant."

Gretchen stepped inside my office and immediately went work separating the files I had thought were correct, but were apparently not. "Don't worry," she tried to assure me. "It's almost impossible to get the hang of it at first. Why do you think most of the interns don't last past a month?"

I scoffed. "I would have stopped learning their names by now."

She grinned. "You're the first attractive girl to walk through the elevator that was wearing the right skirt length. I guess you can say I knew from the beginning that you were special."

This coaxed a smile to my lips. "How touching."

"It's a story I definitely don't mind telling," laughed Gretchen. "Those sluts make me so angry because I take my job so seriously, and they seem to think it is only about getting Zane coffee and then shoving their breasts in his face."

"Psh, how stupid of them," I said, but my voice was cracking slightly. "Everyone knows this internship is more than getting coffee and lunch."

"Of course! Being the personal assistants to the VP and President of the most luxurious car brand in the world is a big deal," said Gretchen haughtily, as she continued to now sort my files by size as well as the color.

"Absolutely," I agreed, afraid any other answer organ than hers would probably be wrong.

She was kind to me, but I could tell she was a feisty young woman that did not let her amusing height nor ignorant people distract her from her goals. I definitely respected that.

Gretchen huffed. "I'm sorry, but I get very passionate about topics that irritate me. I've worked for these executives for two years and I've come be protective of them. It just annoys the hell out of me when I see people who go in thinking that all they do it sit around and count money all day."

"I will personally attest that they count papers and files more than bills," I muttered.

The girl snorted. "Amen. Zane can spend a week pouring over files before he realizes that his meeting was the day before."

"And the VP?" I asked. I had yet to meet him, but I could only assume that he was as attractive as his business partner. They were probably the power partners under Jake and Blake.

Gretchen nodded. "They are two peas in a pod. It's almost a race to see for them to see who can sit and work the longest. The prize is more money."

I wrinkled my nose. "That seems a little extreme."

"It's the most exciting part of their month," Gretchen shook her head, a bemused smile playing on her face.