Chapter 23

As expected, Seth texted me that night letting me know that they were bringing him in for general questioning. They assured him they had no suspects or persons of interest, they just wanted to understand the situation better. So it was good that I was already planning to fly out there the next day anyways.

It was later in the evening when I arrived, as I expected because I had to wait until Blake left separately before following. And when Seth picked me up, it was almost seven. But they wanted to talk to everyone right away. So I dutifully came with him.

He was panicking the entire fine we were in the car. But I could only half listen. While he was worried they would find out about Adeline's stab wound and ask about her reason being in the lake, I couldn't stop thinking about Blake and how much worse this was for him. Between his brother Jacob and then Adeline's obsession with him being the reason for the first lake night and homecoming night, he was probably the center of all of it.

Which is why I could barely stand the guilt and anxiety gnawing at the edge of my stomach. Everything Blake had said was valid. All of his outrage was justified. I had been selfish, and I had procrastinated telling him the truth to protect myself. Not only had that been unfair, but it could be the reason this first night of questioning drags on, dragging Seth and Blake with it. And ruining his trust in me.

When we got to the police station, it seemed a little busier than it should have been for it being seven at night. But then again, it wasn't everyday that two bodies were discovered in one of the most successful towns in Michigan.

"I was called by Detective Harper," Seth said calmly to the receptionist working the front desk, a lot calmer than he had been in the car.

The older lady nodded. I could sense some recognition shift in her eyes, like she finally was realizing who Seth was, but she stayed professional.

She handed him paperwork. "They will be out shortly," she told him.

"Okay. Perfect. And, uh, what is it I'm here to do exactly?"

She studied him. "It says here that you're here to be interviewed about your knowledge of Adeline Bester. You've been named one of her closest friends before her disappearance."

Seth nodded. "Ah, yes. Okay."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Is he under investigation?" I asked her.

"This is a decade-old cold case. Right now, anyone is a person-of-interest."

With that, she left. And Seth and I walked over to the lobby to take a seat and wait.

He looked impatient as he sat in the small chair. That explanation wasn't exactly sitting well with him, and he was clearly uncomfortable being in such a vulnerable position. I elected to stand, deciding to take an observant stance in case any media showed up and recognized him.

The door rang, and I turned. My heart leapt as I watched Blake and his parents enter the station.

It was almost difficult to see that image. Especially because he looked so different. By ditching the suit for a more low profile t-shirt and jeans, physically he could have passed as his high school self. But six years ago, Blake was so young and so attached to his parents. And they returned his loyalty with the support and attention every kid deserved. But now, he looked so distant, so calculating and on high-alert.