Chapter 20

How did I know today would be a good day?

I smiled to myself as I snuggled in close to Blake.

Because it started with you.

It was indescribable, the feeling that overcame me as I was reminded again and again by the possessive arms around my waist that I wasn't in my lonely penthouse bed, but rather out in the suburbs in the king size bed of its multi-millionaire owner.

It felt similar to homecoming night, but multiplied to a whole other level, because while I shared in the comfort of being in his house, I reveled in the intimacy of being here with him. Away from the rest of our lives. Away from the rest of our expectations. Only each other to cling to.

Our bodies were pressed together, but I had never felt more alive. More free. His arms were draped over me, but at some point during the night, our positions had shifted, and now he slept on my stomach as a pillow. His usually styled hair was messily dangling in his eyes, and his hard and intimidating jaw was soft and relaxed. I was his, and he was mine. It wasn't a trade. It was an unconditional gift without the feeling that I was giving him something. That was freedom.

As the light was creeping into the room, I attempted to use all of my mental power to will it away. I had no desire to leave when I was finally happy. I didn't want to believe there was an end to what we had both finally given into.

But, maybe, there doesn't have to be.

An idea crossed my mind. A plan that would assure him that this wasn't a meaningless one night stand for me. That being with him was the most vulnerable thing I had done in a long, long time.

Despite my comfort in the bed, I decided to put my idea into action. It was the only way to prove how much last night had meant to me. So, slowly, I eased his head off of my stomach and onto a pillow instead. Then, I very steadily helped myself out of bed.

I splashed some water on my face and pulled my hair into a messy bun. Still naked, I then dressed in one of his large t-shirts from his closet.

I emerged from the bedroom. The house was quiet, but not in an eerie way. It was as if it, too, was sleeping with content and only awoke when I awoke. And it only stirred when I stirred it.

Because as I began to mill about the kitchen, I realized just how much Blake was telling the truth about this house. He stayed in it alone. And it never saw the light of day.

"Typical man," I muttered as I searched through the appliances and only saw the bare minimum. And then I rooted through the pantry and only found crumbs of the basics. "But it'll have to do."

After putting on a pot of coffee, I began to mix together the ingredients I had managed to find. Then I turned on the stove, poured the batter on the pan, and waited.

Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around my waist, and a pair of soft lips pressed a warm kiss to the back of my neck. "Pancakes?" Blake murmured into my skin. "What's the occasion?"

I smiled as I flipped the pancake. "A new day."

He didn't let go of me. He simply nuzzled his chin onto the top of my head and watched me work. "I love new days. It's a new blessing. A new hope."