Chapter 26

"No, it can't be."

I smiled. "Don't act like that. You've known it's coming."

Gretchen threw her hands up in the air. "Knowing the time of your death doesn't make it any easier leading up to it, does it?" She argued. "It just results in you spending all of your time trying to prevent it instead of enjoying it."

"Well it's a good thing I'm not dying then."

"It's even worse! This is your last day," she mourned.

I dropped my things on my desk to go envelop my friend in a tight hug. She needed the comfort more than I. As she told me on a regular basis, I had been by far her favorite co-worker ever, the only one who had never made a move on Zane and who never begged for help past week 1.

She was absolutely devastated by my leaving. Not only did that mean that her favorite person was gone, but it meant she was going to have to start the cycle of bimbos all over again.

At least one of us needed to be strong today.

"Gah, get away from me before I start crying all over your pretty blouse," Gretchen sniffled.

"You told me at the beginning of the summer you hated this shirt," I laughed and backed away.

She dismissed me. "I was just testing you. To see if you were going to trade actual professional clothes for business slut. But you clearly passed because you're still wearing it."

I snorted. "Okay? Thanks for that."

"Ugh," she cried. "This has been the best summer ever. I've never been more grateful for a coworker in all my life and now she's leaving. I have done absolutely nothing to deserve this."

I quirked an eyebrow. "Nothing?"

Her cheeks flared. "You know what? Maybe it is a good thing you're leaving. Having you around the office is like having your diary on the desk with a read me sign taped to it."

"Aw, Gretchen," I giggled. "Jokes aside, I really am so thankful for you.  You taught me how to survive the corporate world as a woman, and you taught me the value in work relationships. I don't know if anyone will top you as my favorite."

"Are you trying to make my mascara run?" She demanded.

I embraced her for the fifth time that afternoon. "No. But it's cute."

She swatted at me. "You're testing me again," she said. "Let's just go get lunch. We need a break before the moving truck gets here, aka that damn airplane."

I was struggling to keep from laughing as we walked to the elevator. I guess Gretchen's personality had that kind of effect.

She rambled in the elevator about Ember and how she wasn't sure who she was going to make fun of her with when I left. I commented occasionally, but mostly I was thinking to myself, soaking up everything for the last time. Knowing it'll never be like this again. And oh what a short but blissful time it had been. 

I meant every world I told her. She really had taught me a lot about work. Now did I think it would be as fun at a recording studio in LA? No. It sounded more stressful than working for Zane, and Zane was a grizzly bear. But at least it was familiar.