Chapter 24

I was absentmindedly drumming my fingers against the table when I heard the door groan slightly, letting me know that after an hour, he was finally back.

I sat up straighter in my chair in an attempt to appear more put together. I had tried to use the time to come up with a better story, but now that they were back, I think the only thing I accomplished was further frazzling my nerves and overthinking every possible situation right down to the possibility that they could think I committed the crimes.

And if it came to that, a part of me considered giving the officers the rest of the group's name. There was no way that Blake, Seth, and I should be cornered like this and they would get off scott-free. Especially if they were like Taylor, living it up in Florida at the moment.

When the door opened, everything I thought I knew flew out the window as both as the female investigator and the police officer entered the room. The officer tried to smile at me as they took their seats on the other side of the table, but I did not return the sentiment.

"Ms. Baker, I think it's time I formally introduce myself," the female detective said. "I'm Detective Kaylee, the lead investigator for this case."

I could tell immediately she didn't like me.

I frowned. "Hello," I said half-heartedly to them both.

She laid a file on the desk. "Officer Devee tells me that you have a personal connections with both of the victims," she lamented. "I'd like you to explain it to me personally."

I folded my hands. "Weren't you the detective interviewing Blake?"

She narrowed eyes. "Agendas change," she said simply. "Now, if you would, please lay out anything and everything we need to know. The history, if you will."

I hated how she was speaking to me. Like I was already guilty of something, even if it was just as small as being in her presence. I wasn't one to usually be intimidated, but she had a command of the room that reminded me of my mother. This connection alone worried me further.

I took a deep breath. "I already told Officer Devee that I'm really pretty insignificant in all of this. Seth is my older brother, and he never once mentioned Adeline. And I started dating Blake long after Jacob had disappeared."

"And would you describe Mr. Baron as the secretive type?"

I raised an eyebrow at her bluntness.

"Back then or now?"

She studied me. "Back then."

Crap. In both instances, the answer was yes. What would be the right answer now though?

"Uh, that's a very broad term," I tried. "Teenage boys could have many secrets."

"In this case, I'm not referring to where they got their kicks," she said, her tone intertwined with a hint of disgust towards me.

I inhaled sharply. "Are you seriously considering Blake a suspect in his own brother's homicide?"

She sniffed. "This is not about Mr. Baron right now. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty and no one is above the other in a case that has just been cracked open. So this is about what you know about everything that had been going on," she dismissed. "And you are still avoiding the question."