Chapter 15

I grabbed the drinks and for the first time that evening, wanted to stand next to Jake and only him to avoid any other triggers.

But when I was so close to reaching his group, I felt a hand grab my arm and yank me back. I barely managed to hold onto the drinks as I was pulled into a corner.

"Funny, this don't seem like another whore's apartment," Gracelyn giggled.

I stared at her, unable to form the right words. She looked flawless in a flowing emerald green gown that made her look like a princess. Knowing now that she was a model just made me feel even more beneath her.

She continued, unaware. "If I knew better, girly, I'd say that you've grown a pair since I last saw you. You look a little straighter, more sure."

"I would hope so," I mumbled.

"Oh ya. What's your name?"

"Alexa," I replied. "Alexa Baker."

She smiled. "I'm Gracelyn," she said humorously. "It seems like we're both a part of this world, so it's good to actually know ya name."

I frowned, unsure where she was going with that. "I heard you work with Skylar," I said.

She beamed. "That's my bestie bitch! Do you know Skylar?"

"She's my neighbor."

If it was possible for her to attach to me more, telling her that certainly did it. "That's insane! I'll tell you something, Alexa Baker, I'd say we've both done pretty well for ourselves and tonight certainly's proof."

I raised an eyebrow. "What on Earth tells you that?"

She flipped her cherry red hair and puckered her impossibly full lips. "Because just a month ago we were their hoes sneaking around that penthouse, and now look! They're just dyin' to show us off to their friends."

"Well," I said, unamused, "you're right. That's certainly something."

"Gracelyn, talk to your friends later. I have some business partners we need to go make a showing for," a deep voice demanded from behind me.

I closed my eyes and took another long sip from my waning drink. What else was there to do? Probably just go and get another one because this one certainly wasn't making this night any better.

When I opened my eyes, Blake had finally realized I wasn't one of Gracelyn's model friends, but me, myself, and I.

His face was blank.

"Ah, Gracelyn! I was wondering when you would make an appearance," Jake laughed. He was bubbly as he entered the very tense circle. "Oh good, you got my drink. Thanks, Bambi."

Gracelyn laughed and grinned at me as if we were sharing some hilarious private joke. "I wouldn't miss this for the world," she told Jake.

"No, of course you wouldn't. So Keonie knows your here?"

Dear God, who the hell is Keonie?

She shrugged mischievously. "Eh, he knows I'm here. Just not a clue of with who."

"Well, I'm glad. Blake needed to get out of the apartment anyways."

"Clearly you both did," she chuckled. "Though Blake was the one to act like you weren't coming, Jake."

Blake cleared his throat. "Yes, well, we needed to show good charity before our big acquisition coming up," he said slowly. "Jake told me he was coming. Though he didn't mention that she'd be his date."