Chapter 18

I drummed my fingers against the table, deciding between pouring myself another glass of wine or growing myself a pair before Skylar's party. The wine was looking incredibly tempting. But I had a lot to get done. But I also had a lot of excuses to be doing anything but.

Skylar had invited both Blake and Jake over for her birthday tonight, while also expecting me to invite my secret boy. Obviously I had sent nothing out because she had done the work for me. But I couldn't explain why my secret crush didn't exist while they were both watching us. I needed to be alone and tell Skylar once and for all about my history with Jake to prove to myself and Jake that we weren't and would never be a thing.

Against my comfort zone, I forced myself off the couch and over to the mirror to check my outfit one more time before heading over. Skylar had already invited me the night before to come over early to help her inspect the decorations. There wouldn't be a better time.

Once I was satisfied, I gulped down the last of my drink, grabbed my phone, and headed over.

It was barely six. The party wouldn't start for another hour. But I was still surprised how empty the hallway seemed, yet I couldn't imagine our quiet floor being so lively and full.

I knocked on the door.

No one answered.

I knocked again. And a couple more minutes went by. Still no answer.

I pulled out my phone, ready to call Skylar, when, thankfully, the door finally swung open.

But it wasn't my blonde princess answering the door. In fact, if the universe really did make opposites, then it was the John Legend to Chrissy Teigen.

"Uh, are you—"

"I'm the event planner," the tall, impatient young man corrected. "Who are you?"

"The neighbor."

"Miss Hatch doesn't want guests until it is time for the party to begin."

"I'm the exception?"

"Well did you even read the invite?" He said gruffly. "I had it specially made and everything."

"No I did. But I have to talk to her about something."

He looked too annoyed and busy to argue as I heard him mutter along the lines of "stupid, entitled New Yorkers". But he caved and said, "Fine. She's inside."

"Uh, okay."

Skylar definitely hadn't mentioned she'd hired a whole other person to plan this party. It made me wonder just how serious and intense tonight was going to get.

But, as I walked through her penthouse, I got my answer. And instead of questioning the reason for a planner I became jealous myself that I had never thought of hiring one. Every inch of the rooms was decorated to the theme of the roaring 20's. In all honesty, I believed the inspiration was Gatsby.

Dazzling chandeliers hung from the ceilings, balloons lined the walls, and confetti and feathers floated about the room like they were part of the air itself. If it weren't for the lack of fringe, I felt like the room could come alive at any minute. I especially couldn't imagine the lavishness of the scene when there were actual people to dance in it.

Skylar's penthouse was a maze. I was relieved when I finally found her in her room after five minutes of hopeless wandering.

"Aw happy birthday!" I squealed.

No response. She continued to stare at me as if I was wearing the exact same outfit as her.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Hey, uh, sky? Is everything okay?"