Chapter 12: The Skatepark

We didn't have school today because of some water leakage problem. So, Carly and I were sitting in my room on a Friday, bored out of our minds.

"Are you going to the Halloween party tomorrow?" I asked Carly.

"Nope. I'm hanging out at Brian's house." she replied. I should probably mention that Brian and her are now dating. He asked her a few days ago to be his girlfriend, and she obviously said yes.

"You're at his house like everyday." I teased.

"Not true!" she said. "Sometimes he's at mine!"

I laughed. "You guys are too lovey."

"Is somebody jealous?" Carly joked. I threw some popcorn at her.

We scrolled through some social networking sites until I decided that it was totally pointless.

"Let's go outside." I said, closing my laptop.

"Skatepark?" Carly's eyes twinkled.

"Skatepark." I agreed, smiling.

Leaving my room and going down the stairs, I yelled to Ethan that we're leaving.

"Where are you guys going?" he asked.

"Skatepark." I replied.

"Don't do anything stupid." he warned.

"That's rich, coming from you!" I teased.

"You're gonna pay for that one!" he yelled back. "Have fun!"

Carly and I put our shoes on, and left my house.

As we walked to the skatepark that was only a few minutes away, we recalled our many memories we had there. We used to go all the time to check out the cute boys and their tricks. I know, I know, sounds lame, but hey, we made a few friends that way. We haven't gone for quite a while now.

"Maybe we can find you a boyfriend!" Carly announced as we walked down the sidewalk.

"Why do you want me to have a boyfriend so badly?" I laughed.

"Because then we can go on double dates!" she smiled. I rolled my eyes at her craziness and continued walking. "I'm serious." she continued. "If there's a guy that's your type, I'm making you say hi."

"Fine, fine." I mumbled.

Once we reached the park, I smiled. It was exactly how I remembered it. Ramps, steps and railings that people would do tricks and flips on. I could only imagine myself breaking every bone in my body if I tried to do them. Every possible wall was covered in bright and lively graffiti. There were tons of people hanging out; little kids just starting out on the flat ground while big teenagers rode the ramps with ease.

"What about that one?" Carly exclaimed, pointing to a tall, handsome guy. "Or that one!" she offered, pointing to a blond teenager.

"Carly, relax." I said, pushing her outstretched arm down to her side.

"Sorry." she replied sheepishly.

We started walking over to where a bleacher-like structure was. You could see the whole park from there. A group of boys our age were standing by it, but I didn't pay much attention to them since I was focusing on a girl doing an awesome trick not far away.

"Hey, isn't that Maxwell, Andrew and Kyle?" Carly asked me, pointing to the boys by the bleachers, only a few steps away. I quickly turned my head to look where she was pointing. It can't be them.

"You didn't tell me they hang out here!" she smiled.

I didn't move a muscle. I physically couldn't. I just stared at the group. It can't be them. It looked like them, but it can't be. The one that looked like Maxwell had his usual suspenders but they were hanging by his legs, giving him a punk look. Maxwell doesn't dress like that. The one that seemed to be Kyle had a checkered shirt on, but it was worn in a grunge manner. Kyle isn't grunge. The Andrew lookalike had glasses on, but was holding a big camera tightly in his hand. Andrew doesn't do photography. This isn't right. These are not the boys I hang out with.

My head started spinning since I couldn't comprehend what was going on. My eyes were fixated on the group, trying to take in every little detail. I didn't even notice the light gust of wind that went by, or how Carly was already walking towards them. I didn't walk with her. I kept my feet planted, but I didn't have much of a choice anyways; my body refused to move. That's what shock can do to you sometimes. It can take over your body, your brain, every little bit of you.

Carly reached the boys. She casually smiled at them. Their eyes went wide when they saw her. She said something to them, but I wasn't listening. I couldn't hear anything around me. I was only aware of the sound my pounding heart was making, hammering against my chest, wanting to escape.

Carly pointed towards me, turning her head and waving her hand towards the group, signaling me to come over. I didn't follow her signal. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion. The way that the boys' heads turned to look at me. Once their eyes connected with mine, their mouthes opened slightly. Everything felt like a dream. Carly's smile slowly began to fade, as if her mind started putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

Then as quick as a snap of a finger, the dreamlike aura vanished, and my brain started working. I could feel the blood flowing through my body. I could feel my muscles burning with desire. I felt my eyes blink a few times. And that's when I did the first and only thing that came to mind;

I turned and ran.

------------------------------
Vote, Comment, Follow :)