Chapter One - New School

"Moooooo, mooooooo, mooooooooooo, moo-"

Alicia Marie Smith groaned and slammed her hand on the utterly ridiculous cow alarm clock she'd been gifted last Christmas, from a well-meaning but misguided uncle. Hearing a loud smash, she groaned again, dragging herself out of the cosy warmth of her bed. Alicia seemed like a perfectly ordinary seventeen-year-old girl on the surface; an averagely pretty face, average height, big green eyes, and elbow-length wavy brown hair that she was too lazy to brush most of the time. If you encountered her on the street, you wouldn't think she was any different than her peers. However, that was far from the truth. Alicia had a talent for languages from a young age, being able to speak in fluent Spanish and French alongside her native English by the time she was 13, and conversational levels of Italian, German, Mandarin Chinese and Japanese by the time she reached 17. Any school would be proud to call her their student if it was just for her linguistic talents. Unfortunately for them, this was also not the case. Between Alicia's under-aged tattoos, being on a first-name basis with her favourite police officer Cole, her love of illegal fighting and racing bikes, and her complete disregard for speed limits and the general laws of the road, her academic success had been overshadowed.

Alicia had a cold shower, in a weak attempt to feel more awake, before pulling on the first clothes she saw from the pile next to her wardrobe. Stomping downstairs, she was greeted by the smell of burning and smoke. Eyes widening as she pushed open the door to the kitchen, she discovered her older brother by 3 years; and current legal guardian Jason; standing in the middle of the room in a pink and frilly apron. She paused, a smile slowly spreading across her face. "Jay, what the hell are you doing?" she questioned, holding in laughter. Her brother was not known for his culinary prowess, so the siblings had mostly survived on ready-meals and takeout since their parents had died unless Ali cooked; she was the only one who could be trusted around an oven. "Well.." Jason replied, grinning sheepishly "I was trying to make you breakfast to cheer you up on your first day, but I put in too much oil and left it on the heat and... set the pan on fire". Alicia couldn't contain the laughter any longer, until both siblings had tears streaming out of their eyes. "Okay Jay, no offence, but I'm sticking to cereal" she spluttered, finally calming down enough to speak. "None taken little sis, I'm sticking to cereal too" he replied, chuckling as he finally took off the apron and admitted defeat.

After eating her breakfast as quick as possible, Ali was out of the door. She was grateful she'd had time to fix her car before the new semester, the school was half an hour's drive away and at least she could hide behind the tinted windows for a while, but this wasn't her best plan and she knew it. The Smiths didn't 'do' inconspicuous cars; living with no parental supervision and too much money had led to wildly irresponsible spending from both, though mainly from Jason, so Alicia had chosen her brother's old white Bugatti Veyron for her first car. A second-hand car is perfectly normal for most 17-year-olds, but a second-hand car valued at over a million dollars as only a handful were made is not; so predictably, everyone stopped and stared as she rolled up the school. Suddenly, Alicia wished she drove a several decades old hunk of rubbish. It wasn't until she was able to convince herself to step out of her car that the spell of silence was broken, and the whispers started.

The walk to the principal's office was eerie, with the hallways going silent as she passed, then filled with a wave of whispers. News travels fast. Ali tried to calm herself down, feeling her breath hitch in her throat as the feelings of dread set in, but her brother's advice had hardly helped her; "Stay calm, don't hit anyone, and try not to be threatening. We don't need a repeat performance of last year and the last school.". Jay had never given helpful advice. After what felt like an eternity, Alicia finally arrived at the safety of the office. After slamming the door behind her, she was greeted by an attractive 20-something receptionist, with natural blonde hair and a figure that made her look like a life-sized barbie; she was beautiful like one, but Ali couldn't recall any of her Barbies having a bad fake tan rub-off around their knuckles. As the stranger looked up from her computer, her face transformed from boredom to fear. Alicia swore, she'd read her file. "H-hi, I'm Laney, are y-you the new st-stu-student here?" she stuttered. Ali wanted to leave this completely innocent woman alone, but she needed her schedule, and something about seeing the fear in the other woman's eyes made her snap. "Yeah I am" Alicia replied, sounding more harsh than she ever intended. "So, are you going to give me my papers now? Or are you going to just keep staring at me?" she asked in a cold voice, glaring at Laney. The receptionist's eyes bugged out of her head at this, as she gave Alicia the student papers in shaky hand seconds before fainting. Alicia took one look at the scene in front of her, unsure whether she should be irritated or amused, before ultimately breaking down laughing; not noticing the door behind her open until she heard a polite cough. Quickly spinning round to the source of the noise, Ali saw her best friend in the world of street fighting standing in the open doorway, Samuel Harro. Everyone just calls him Sax though- he decided Sam was too boring. "Sax!!!" she screamed, tackling him into the floor of the hallway. He gasped at the unexpected impact, before chuckling and trying to escape from the hug. Finally escaping, he helped Alicia to her feet, his beautiful deep brown features twisted into a frown, and eyes so narrowed you could barely see his dark golden eyes; this was a face she knew all too well, and she swore internally. "Ali.." He said, in a tone voice that wouldn't sound out of place on a scolding parent. Ali muttered in lieu of a response. "How many schools have you been expelled from now?". Ali paused, slowly grinning. "Why do you always assume I was expelled my dearest buddy o' pall? Ever thought I just wanted a change of scenery? Or perhaps I wanted to visit you and your charming brother?" she replied cheekily. Sax glared at his friend. "Because you usually are, and you refused to talk to me about it"
"Fair point mate"
"So? How many then this time idiot?" Sax replied with a smirk
"The last one was my 11th cos' I turned my headteachers computer screen into a fish bowl" she admitted looking down, attempting to hide her sheepish grin. He raised an eyebrow.
"What! It was one of those fat, old-fashioned ones..." she muttered with a small pout. He began muttering a lecture before Alicia cut him off, declaring "Love you too Sax!" and making him chuckle.

As the bell rang the duo realized they had an audience, though their glaring quickly changed that.
"Ah man! We only have geography and lunch together, I forgot you were a super nerd! Couldn't you have picked easier subjects like me?" Sax exclaimed, looking as disappointed as Alicia felt. "Shut up" she hissed, unable to think of a better response, settling for an elbow in the ribs and a playful glare instead. "Now that wasn't very nice now was it?" He said grinning at her, before laughing as she raised her eyebrows. Alicia loved her friends, but that didn't mean she was known for being nice.

"Bitch. We have geography first period, so come on and I'll show you the way". Inspired by his own sentence, Sax begun singing "A Whole New World" from Aladdin; all so badly and out of tune that she was almost impressed. Almost. 

And so, Alicia's form of hell begun.

__________________________________