Chapter 9: The Mask

"Looks like I've got some free time," you say, swinging across Atlas, "Maybe now's a good time to look into that mask."
Suddenly, Ruby called you. You answered with a, "Hey Ruby. You're up late."
"Just catching up on the news," she said, "Looks like you had quite an adventure with Shocker tonight."
"Yeah," you say, "He was unusually combative. Anyway, thanks again for dinner. What do I owe you?"
"How about a favour?" she asked, "You still have that mask from the gallery?"
"Yea. I'm actually on my way to Beacon now to ask Mr Li about it."
"Mr Li? Why?"
"He has a degree in Art History. If anyone knows about the origin of that mask, he will."
"Just keep me in the loop. Like I said, I think there's a bigger story here. And I plan to be the one to break it."
"Cool. So, I can, uh, call you whenever."
"Yeah. Whenever, whatever."
As she hangs up, you think, So I guess we're talking again. Cool.

You crawl into your dorm room, and change into your normal clothes. As you exit the dorm. "Mr Li's usually in his office now." you say to yourself, heading there. You knock on his door and he opens it. "Y/N," he shakes your hand, "What can I do for you?"
"Sorry to bother you, Mr Li..." you say, walking in, "My friend, Ruby Rose, she's doing a reporter piece for Professor Port's project. She's doing a story on art imports, and found this piece..." you hold up the mask, "She wanted an expert opinion on it, and I know you have a degree--"
"And this might be the first time I actually get to use it," he examines the mask, "Interesting... Where'd she find it?
"Uh... I'm not sure. Why, what is it?"
"A replica of an antique Chinese opera mask. I haven't seen one in decades," he sees a symbol on the inside of the mask, "This symbol here roughly translates to 'Demon!'"
"Demon?"
"My father read me ghost stories with that mask and symbol in it when I was younger than you. Scared the hell out of me. Y/N, listen," he places a hand on your shoulder, "This mask, it... It could be connected to dangerous people. Miss Rose might want to find a different story."

"You think she's in trouble?" you ask, concerned.
"I don't know," he said, "But why take the risk? Now, if you don't mind, Y/N, I'll have to ask you to leave."
"So soon?" you ask.
"I'd like you to stay for longer, but I need to consult with Oobleck about something. Have a good day." he wished you, returning to his desk
"You too, Mr Li," you left the office and saw Ruby, "Hey." you greeted her.
"What's up?" she asked.
"The symbol inside the mask means 'Demon,'" you tell her, "It really spooked Mr Li. Never seen him like that. He even said you should drop the story."
"Fat chance," she laughed, "Do you think Mr Li Knows more than he's letting on?"
"No, I think he just had a weird flashback or something. His childhood WAS pretty traumatic."
"Yeah, makes sense. 'Demons,' huh? Catchy name," she started to leave, "Anyway, need to find Yang. See you soon."
Well, you think, as you waved her goodbye, That went as well as I could've hoped.