Chapter 35: Step Into My Parlour...

Ruby's POV

I entered the lobby, when Y/N called. "Okay, Ruby," he said, "I'm a couple blocks away. Let me know if anything goes wrong."
"Thanks, Y/N," I said, hanging up, "Wish me luck."
Okay, I thought, walking through the lobby, Norman's penthouse is on the top floor, but the elevator's on lock down. Need to get into the security room to unlock it.
I walked through the lobby, and got to the doors, but a guard was there. I knew he'd see me if I went in. Residents are pretty upset, I thought, deviously, Maybe I can rile them up to create a distraction.
I heard someone say, "I left my stupid inhaler upstairs."
Perfect, I thought.
I walked over and told the man, "I heard they'll let you up if you claim special circumstances - health emergency might do it."
"Really?" he asked.
I then heard some woman say, "Every moment we stay down here, we risk catching that plague."
"Definitely stay away from that receptionist," I told them, "He's been coughing up a storm."
"What?" she turned to the guard at the door, "They HAVE to let us back upstairs!"

That should do it, I thought.
As the guard tried to disperse the crowd, I snuck around them and entered the security room. Pulling out my scythe, I thought, I know a few White Snow force agents who would love to meet you.
I snuck around, taking out various soldier along the way. Eventually, I arrived. Ruby Rose, I thought to myself, Super spy.
As I unlocked the elevator, I saw a camera in the penthouse. It showed Norman clearing out, and... Was that Winter? I thought nothing of it, and exited the room, making sure not to be seen, although Winter looked at the elevator, forcing me to duck behind the door. As the elevator rose, I sighed. When it arrived, I saw all of Norman's guards had cleared out, giving me time to snoop around. Suddenly, Y/N called me. "Ruby," he sounded a bit panicked, "White Snow force security just ballooned. I think Norman's being moved. I'm worried they might spot me."
"I might have had something to do with that," I owned up, "Keep your distance. I should be okay for now."
I looked around and found a keypad behind his family portrait. Next to it was a post-it note, saying 'Harry's Last Day.'
That must be the day Harry left for Europe, I thought.

I couldn't remember the exact date, so I went into Harry's room, but was shocked with what I saw: A hospital bed and a wheelchair. This... I thought, Can't be for Harry, can it? Why didn't you tell us you were sick?
I looked around and read his journal. I skimmed ahead until I found it. The journal read:

07/18

Leaving for 'Europe' today. Ha Not sure how this is going to go. Dad says there's no risk... but that's dad. Dr Michaels thinks it's more like 50/50.
So. OK, I might not make it. If that happens I bet you'll be reading this, Dad. Who am I kidding - you're probably already reading it anyway. 'Norman always has to know.' So if you ARE reading this, Dad, and if 'no risk at all' turns out to be another Osborn Campaign Promise then do me a favour: show this next part to Y/N and Ruby. JUST them. Please. Thanks Dad - I love you.

To: Y/N L/N and Ruby Rose,

Guys... I'm sorry. Really sorry. If you're reading this... man. This is tough. Even in an imagined hypothetical letter to you it's hard to be honest. Here goes. I'm sick. Like really sick. Doctors think it's the same thing my mum had. Neuro degeneration, rapid onset. I've known for a while, but I thought I could manage it. I didn't tell you cause... well cause I didn't tell you. I was worried how you'd react. And I couldn't stand to see you go through what I did with my mum. Watching her suffer. Knowing I couldn't help. Watching her die was worse than the dying. Things got really bad recently. All those times that I was 'wiped out from partying' or 'just super busy?' Not partying. Not busy. Sick. This 'Europe trip...' well it's a cover. I'm going in for treatment - experimental, long term. Dad's been working on it forever, promises it'll work. He hates the nickname the techs have for it - 'Devil's Breath.' Says it makes something good seem scary. But maybe 'Devil's Breath' is what I need. Little bit of bad to do a lot of good. Okay. Dad's here. Time to go.

Suddenly, I heard Winter's voice. "I am saying we shouldn't rush off without a plan."
"'WE?'" I heard Norman yell, "YOU are staying here. The antiserum is ready, and I am going to supervise production."
"You will be completely vulnerably without me!" Winter protested.
"I seem to be completely vulnerable WITH you!" Norman yelled back, "I'm going alone! End of discussion!"
As Norman left, Winter said to one of her soldiers, "Keep team two on standby. I'm getting some air."
I called Y/N and whispered, "Y/N - Norman's cure is ready. He's headed to the lab it's at now - can you follow?"
"Not without alerting him," he said, "Somebody spiked Winter's coffee today - Her men are set on double secret probation alert."
"Okay, then stay ready," I told him, sneaking to the panel, "I've almost got the location."
I snuck around the White Snow force soldiers, and entered the numbers 0-7-1-8 into the keypad. Surprisingly, nobody heard or saw the door open. When I entered the secret room, I was greeted to spiders in containment biomes. Is Norman trying to reverse engineer Y/N's abilities? I thought, The labels on these cases... 'Bio-electrokinesis...' 'Optical camouflage...' What the hell is he trying to create?

I then found a recording device, and listened to Norman's voice. "Norman Osborn, GR-27 research log," he said, "The whole project has gone to hell. GR-27 is a CURE, not a disease. But try telling that to the evening news. Somehow, they've picked up the technicians' morbid nickname - 'Devil's Breath' - and are using it to stoke hysteria. They have no idea what it's really capable of: A cure for cancer, genetic disorders, birth defects... With just a little more research, I KNOW we could perfect it. Instead, I'll spend the next 18 months on PR mop up. What a waste of time..."
Devil's breath isn't a disease, I realised, It's an attempt at a cure. I almost can't believe it...
I then saw a file next to the recording device, and, Norman's mistake, contained the location for the Devil's Breath at a biotech facility. I grabbed the file. Then, I saw something on Norman's monitor labelled 'MARTIN LI INCIDENT.' What is this? I thought.
I clicked on the folder, and it brought me to a video. In the back, I saw Otto's father and Norman, watching as Martin Li, as a child, struggled in pain, his parents panicking beside him, "I thought you said it was just a consultation!" Otto's father yelled.
"The boy seemed ready." Norman said
"I'm going in there!" Otto's father yelled.
But it was too late. Martin glowed in his negative form, and his parents incinerated in front of him. "What have you done?" Otto's father asked Norman.

Oh my God, I realised, Norman and Otto's father... They started all this... They created Li... I have to get this.
I stuck a USB into his monitor, but became fascinated by one of the spiders. As it jumped at me, I knocked another container down, alerting everyone outside. "Who's there?" Winter asked.
I hid behind a desk, brushing the spiders off me. I peeked and saw her look around. "Dammit..." she whispered, then speaking into her walkie-talkie, "We have a breach. High alert!"
I called Y/N when she left. "Y/N," I whispered, "I've got the lab location... And a lot more. How far away are you?"
"Two avenues over," he said, "Say the word and I'm there."
"Great," I prepared to run, "Keep the motor running."
I dashed past the White Snow force soldiers and made it to the balcony. Winter shot the glass door down and yelled, "STOP!"
I turned and she saw me. "Ruby?" she asked.
I went to the edge of the balcony, and climbed over the railing. I jumped, and five seconds later, Y/N swooped in and collected me. "You are crazy." he told he.
"You are amazing." I held his cheek in my hand.