Chapter 27: Breakthrough

Ironwood called you. "You did it," he said, "Li's off to the Circle, the Devil's Breath is safe with Winter. How do you feel?"
"How do I feel?" you ask, "How much time do you have?"
"Not much," he said, "Heroics for you means paperwork for me. But I just wanted to say good job."
"Thanks, Ironwood," you thank him, "Kind of needed that."
You then feel the need to stop being Spider Man for the time being, so you decide to head back to Beacon. When you enter, out of costume, you ask, "Hello?" hoping to get a response.
"Ah, Y/N," Otto appears, wearing a strange suit, "Just in time to celebrate."
"Celebrate?" you noticed the arms were gone, "Wait, where are the--"
You watch in awe as the two arms, more like tentacles now, show themselves from behind Otto's back. So cool, you think. "B-but," you stutter, "H-how did you--?"

"Intra-cranial neural network," he answered, pouring you a drink, "Neuro-transmission speeds under one nanosecond. Faster than signals travel inside the brain, never mind to an external prosthesis. We did it, Y/N. No one can take this away from us. And your work on the neural web was the key."
"B-But," you tried to talk him out of this, "We haven't ev-even tested it. Th-there's so much w-we don't know..."
"It works beautifully," he protested, "Take a look."
I looked over the schematics of the neuro-transmitter, and saw something horrifying. You see his probability of seizures is 38.7%, his probability of short term memory loss is 40.4%, his probability of long term memory loss is 62.3%, his probability of limbic degradation is 98.3%, and his probability of frontal lobe edema is 94.8%. This is bad, you think.
"Otto?" you ask, "I think I've found a potential problem--"
"Everything has problems if you look hard enough," he said, "But fortune favours the bold."
Suddenly, two more tentacle-like arms sprout out from behind Otto. "It's time to show the world what we've done!" he announced as they lifted him from the floor.

"Otto," you try to warn him, showing him the schematics, "The neural web isn't isolating your motor neurons. It could be affecting other parts of your brain: Your inhibitions, your mood... I just think we need to do some more testing."
"WE'VE DONE ENOUGH TESTING!" he used one of his arms to rip the schematics apart, "For the first time in my life, I don't feel like a failure. I feel like me!"
"You're not a failiure, Otto," you reassure him, "But this could permanently damage your mind!"
He calms down as the arms lowered him to the floor. He then removed the neuro-transmitter from his neck. "Don't worry," you tell him, "We're close."
"I'll keep at it," he told you, "Work out some bugs... Take the day off."
"You're sure you're okay?" you ask.
"I'm fine." he assured you.

Otto's POV

I watched as Y/N left the dorm. "Thank you, Y/N..." I said to him, making him turn, "For... everything."
"Your welcome." he smiled and left the dorm.
I sighed, and looked down at the powerless arms, strewn across the floor. Suddenly, a news report came on, and Norman Osborn was giving a speech. "Martin Li is now behind bars," he fed lies to the media, "When I make a promise to this city, I keep it."
I put the neuro-transmitter back in my neck, as Norman continued, "The people of Vale and Atlas will soon make a decision that could change the course of both cities forever. So when you're casting your vote, remember what I've done. We are all safer than ever now that I have--"
I made one of my arms crush the TV. Oh, Norman, I thought, You have absolutely no idea what you're in for...