Chapter 22: Uninvited

When you arrived, you were stunned at the sight. White Snow Force had made a research outpost/temporary housing facility smack dead in the centre of the Emerald Forest. How uneconomically friendly, you think, But no need to think about the environment for now. Where are you, Ruby?
You use your spider sense to try and locate her, and see her in a tent, someone pointing a gun at her. You leapt into the tent and burst through the roof, landing on top of...

Ruby's POV (And about 15 minutes earlier)

"'Reach him?'" Y/N asked me over my scroll, "That place is crawling with guards. How are you going to reach him?"
"Very," I whispered, "VERY quietly."
I hung up, and took a few web bombs out of my pocket. "Time to see if these things Y/N gave me work." I whispered to myself.
I managed to sneak behind cover closer to a small gap in the fence. When I saw a White Snow Force soldier, I threw the web bomb, which attached him to the outer wall of the facility. Sneaking in, I saw a projection screen showing something horrifying. The Demons are killing anyone related to Devil's Breath, I thought, Standish is in real danger.
Looking over the railings of the platform I was on, I saw two soldiers leading Standish into a tent. Knowing that was where I had to get to, I readied the web bombs and made my way over there.

Slowly but surely, I got to to the tent. Standish was on his scroll. "Charles Standish?" I asked.
He jumped in surprise. "Where's Dr Morgan Michaels?" I asked.
"Li sent you," he said, panicked, "Didn't he?"
"No." I said.
He rushed for a gun on the desk next to him. "Tell him if he wants to kill me," he panicked, "He can do it himself!"
"I'm not with the Demons," I tried to explain, "I'm not with Winter. I'm a student at Beacon Academy. And I want to see Li stopped. Just like you."
"Ruby Rose," he realised, "I read your story of Captain Arc," he approached me, lowering the gun, "Winter won't listen to me. She has Michaels in the industrial district, they're moving him to a new safe house tomorrow at noon, but she's ignoring the subway lines?"
"Subway lines?" I asked.
"The Demons were talking about it when they had me captive. They're going there to get--"
Suddenly, something ripped the roof of the tent and fell on Standish.

Your POV (Present)

You knock Standish out on impact. "WHAT THE HELL?" Ruby yells.
Upon further inspection, you groan. "Great. Not a White Snow Force soldier," you say, "Sorry, Charlie.
You hear soldiers approaching and grab Ruby, "Time to go."
"No, wait," she protests, "He knows something."
You ignore her and swing back to her father's house, dropping her off there, as she requested. She just walked inside, not even looking back. Well, you think, That was most probably the most awkward swing of my life. Ruby is not happy. 
Soon after, she calls you. "'Sorry Charlie?'" she asks, "You knock an innocent man out, destroy my background research, and the best you've got is 'Sorry Charlie?' Is everything a joke to you?"
"What?" you ask, "Ruby, no, I screwed up. It was a tension breaker."
"'Tension breaker?'" he scoffs, "You know this is EXACTLY why we broke up?"
"I thought we broke up so you could focus on helping your team with their projects."

"We broke up," she yelled now, "Because you wouldn't stop treating me like a baby" 'Don't do this, Ruby!' 'Don't do that, Ruby!' 'That's too dangerous, Ruby!' I may not have super spider powers, but I am NOT made out of glass!"
"You snuck into the middle of an armed military..." you tell her, "You know what? Can we NOT do this right now? Please? Did you learn anything about Dr Michaels?"
She sighed, "Fine. He's in the industrial district somewhere. Winter's moving him tomorrow at noon."
"Thanks," you say, "Anything else. Was he saying something about the subway lines before I jumped in?"
"He was... No. It was nothing. Listen, I need to go, Y/N L/N."
Y/N L/N, you thought as she hung up, That's all the proof you need that she is still, 100% mad at me. Y/N L/N. Nice work, Mr Superhero.