chapter twelve

Chapter Twelve.

-

I froze, closing my eyes. "Mike, who is that?" Calum asked.

I have my phone to him with a shaking hand. "It's my mum." I said.

"I'm gonna put it on speaker, okay?" Calum said. I nodded. Luke wrapped his arms around my waist, his chin rested on my shoulder.

"Ms. Clifford?" Calum asked.

"Cal? Is that you?" She asked. "Yeah...why are you calling? After what? 6 years?" He askedz

"I'm sorry, I just...needed out of that house. His father was deadly-"

"But you left him." He interrupted.

"I just need to make sure my baby's okay." She said, softly.

"Mum?" I asked. "Mikey, baby, are you okay? Has he done anything to you? Oh my, you must hate me."

"Yes, yes, no." I said. "Wait, he's hurt you, oh my god." She said.

"It's fine really..." I said. "Micheal Gordon Clifford it is not fine!"

"But it was fine for you to just leave me there?" I shot back. "I didn't think you'd want to leave. You were twelve honey, and your father didn't seem to want to hurt you, I thought you'd be okay with him."

"Where'd you go?" I asked her, as Luke tightened his grip on me.

Ashton just stood there, seeming quite confused. "I went to New York. I have some friends out here." She said.

I saw speechless. I never thought she'd leave the country...and without telling me.

"I also called because I have to ask you something."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Will you come to New York for me?"

"I- I can't. My whole life is here...I can't just leave it." I said, glancing at Luke. He had sad eyes.

"Micheal...please."

"No....I can't. I'm sorry."

Before she got another word out Calum said, "It was a nice conversation, Ms. Clifford but I must bid you ado. Good bye." He said and hung up.

I was still in shock. How could she not have any contact with me for six years, then ask me to move a different country?

"I can't believe that just happened. I haven't heard her voice...in six years." I said.

"She sounds more...american." Calum said. "I thought she would've moved a few cities away...not to a different continent."

I sighed, "Guys, don't be all upset. I'm not leaving." I said. "That's a relief." Ashton mumbled. But Luke stayed silent.

"Luke, what are thinking about?" Ashton asked, sounding a bit panicked.

"Nothing." Luke mumbled. "Lucas...tell me what you are thinking." Ashton demanded.

Luke's face softened as his eyes becamed glassy. "I don't want you to leave me, Mikey." He whispered.

I pulled him into a hug, "I'd never." I whispered.

"You're such a softie." I mumbled.

"I'm your softie."

"That is correct."

-

Dear diary,

As my hectic day comes to an end, I find that my mum is completely and utterly a selfish prick. And that Luke is a soft teddy bear with gravity defying hair.

I've come to realize that I have fallen hard for the blond haired and blue eyed beauty, but I couldn't have fallen for someone better.

I must bid you ado,

I'll see you tomorrow, my amazing book.

Sincerely,

Micheal.