Chapter 4

My brother Jordan has a pen. I don't know where he got it from, or why he even has it, but if he doesn't stop clicking it, I am going to stab him in the eye with it. His best friend CJ is sitting beside him, and looking up, we make eye contact; it's bugging him too. How can one little, stupid, object annoy us so much?

"Jordan. Give me the pen." I order, holding my hand out.

He stops, looking at me as though he just realised I was even there before smirking and holding it up closer to my face, his first mistake, he proceeds to click it again.

"No."

I lunge as he quickly moves his hand away, but not quick enough. My nails did into his forearm before I make another grab for the pen.

"I will turn you into a toad!" I threaten, making him laugh.

"I've seen your magic tricks, that ain't going to happen." He mocks, and we all freeze at the loud, croak that sounded like it came from him.

CJ turns and then looks down behind Jordan's chair, shock on his face before he bursts out laughing. Sure enough, just sitting there on the floor behind Jordan is a big, mud coloured toad.

"That was my final warning." I try to sound serious, but I am just as perplexed at Jordan as to how that thing got there.

I let my brother go and stand up, holding my hand out once again. He drops it into my palm and turns to look at the toad. CJ says something I don't hear, yet I don't bother asking because it's then the front door opens to the small community centre, I forget about the three of them and wave.

"Bunting!" Nigel calls out, his brother Drew smiling as he sees us. "Long time no see."

"Hey, it's my favourite Van Helsings!" I call back, heading over their way as I see their eldest brother behind them. "And Tom. Hey Sam."

While we had called a truce, Tom and I would never, and I'm pretty sure that's not exaggerating, ever be friends. Sam, his girlfriend and also a former Huntress of Athena's little girl group gives a tiny, shy wave.

"What's behind the chair?" Drew asks, giving me a hug before we all look at Jordan and CJ.

CJ is now on the floor and Jordan is standing over him. The toad must jump towards them as CJ scrabbles back with a yell and then Jordan picks it up.

"Toad. Don't ask." I shrug.

They come over, and Jordan holds the animal like it might just bite him. Drew is quick to look closer.

"You might want to get rid of that and wash your hands. I'm pretty sure it's a Cane Toad." Drew, ever the smart one tells him.

"What?" Jordan hesitates.

"I was in Queensland, Australia last month and they're everywhere up there. They secrete poison so, yeah, go wash your hands." He warns.

Jordan looks at me furiously, and I merely shrug. "You should have just handed over the pen."

Logan arrives then, and Jordan practically throws the toad his way before rushing off towards the bathrooms.

"Why is there a toad here?" Logan motions for me to follow him as he heads outside. "Did you do this?"

He goes to put it down outside in the bushes, and I stop him.

"Can you magic that away, maybe to um, Australia. Queensland I think. It's poisonous, and I threatened to turn Jordan into a toad and instead, he showed up."

Logan closed his eyes, taking a deep breath before slowly shaking his head. The thing vanishes, and a tiny smile appears as he looks at me again.

"Luckily you didn't. That would be hard to explain to your Mum."