Chapter 29

With each click of my fingers, the radio channel changed. Slouched back in the chair with my feet on the dash, having to take the time to drive somewhere was ridiculously boring. Finding a song I liked, I left it alone and taking out my phone, found a message from Raya with Olivia in a super bubbly bath, complete with bubble hat and beard.

"I'm a bitch, I'm a lover. I'm a child, I'm a mother. I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I do not feel ashamed!" I sing along, only for Zane to abruptly change the channel. "Hey!"

"Anyone ever told you, you are the worst passenger, ever?" He groaned, once again changing the channel as I turned it back.

"Losing battle Zaney, and if you had let me drive, I would be too focused on the road to mess around with the radio."

"Anytime you borrow or drive my car, bad things happen. I'm not a Bunting, I don't get unlimited funds to buy more cars because someone destroyed the last one."

"You know the council will reimburse any funds lost because of-"

"Not the point kid, not the point." Zane sighs.

"I know," I shrug. It is what it is. "Tomorrow I will change, and today won't mean a thing!"

The music disappears as it gets to the best part, and I give up, allowing the silence to take over what remained of the journey. As he slows down, he brings up the network on the dash screen of his car and checks the address.

"We're here."

"Cliche much?" I wonder, looking around at the abandoned church, complete with the spooky old cemetery at its side. "So, what's the plan old man?"

Zane rolls his eyes and reaching into the back, produces a small bag. Opening it up, I smile at the sight of all the vampire killing goodies in there and picking up a somewhat shiny, silver pistol, inspect the UV bullets that go with it.

"Oh, I've missed you, baby." I coo to the weapon.

"It's a gun?"

"I have these now, I don't really use much of this anymore." My hand lights up before disappearing as I inspect the goodie bag he brought along. "Oh, what's this?"

I pick up the small clear bottle, curious of its contents. Zane laughs, shakes his head and takes it from me, dropping it into the console of the car.

"Hand sanitiser. I don't like germs."

For a second I just stare, unsure if he's serious until I realise he is. "Cause I hate it when germs get mixed up in my bag of mass vampire destruction."

"You mock me, but am I ever sick?"

"We don't get sick like normal humans, super DNA remember?"

"Why take the chance?" He shrugs.

We load up and decide to start in the cemetery. It's a beautiful night and walking by neglected tombstones, I take my time to see how old this place really is. Most seem to have passed in eighteen sixty around here, and as an owl flies overhead, I shiver. The hair on the back of my neck stands up, as goosebumps rush all over me. I look at Zane, and he nods, feeling it too.

"Graveyards are totally romantic. I mean, look at all these couples buried together. Hey, we should get buried together. Imagine that. You, me, forever!" I tell him, perhaps a little too excitedly.

I know we're being watched. The shadows that you're not sure if you're imagining them move or if there is actually something there is definitely someone there.

"Well, with an offer like that, immortality sounds like a much better option. At least then I have a chance of getting away from you at some point." He mumbles.