Chapter 20

Going inside, those closest to the door looked up with a mixture of surprise and curiosity. The vampires quickly looked away as I stared back at them. Old rock my Dad enjoyed filled the spaces of noise the conversation didn't. Years of spilt beer and whatever else gave it that homey, Last Drop, smell and for a second I had to remind myself this wasn't my place. For starters, the bar was in the wrong spot; to the left of the door instead of in front of it. The chairs were newer, the tables fastened to the floor, and there was no stage I could see, yet the wall of heavy red velvet made me wonder.

Past the bar was a separate seating area, red ropes blocked off the stairs up, giving it an exclusive vibe and those in there an excellent viewpoint to look over the room. It was as someone at the end of the bar turned around, I saw the words on the back of her jacket, and I kept watching as she went back behind the rope.

Odin's Nightmare MC.

"Careful. Don't get caught staring too long Hunter, there aren't many of your kind around here to help you and many that would love to see you fall." The bartender smirked, and looking at him, he seemed quite, human.

"Hunter?" I frown, playing the innocent card. It was hard to get a read on him but his first impression wasn't right.

"Slayer? Na, I'm sticking with Hunter. What can I get you?"

"Lemonade." He laughs but does what I say, and as he sets down the drink, I hold up a hundred dollar note. "I'll tip you well if you give me a clue about what you are."

"Mage. Powers got bound a few years ago after I did a few things I shouldn't have. Moral of the story, don't piss off a witch who is more powerful than you are!" He shrugs and pinches the money off me before I can react. "Take heed, young Hunter. They are much more powerful than you, and can do a lot more than just bind your powers if you get what I mean."

"Helpful." I nod, sipping the soft drink yet I still look back up towards the upper level.

We get talking. His name is Eric, and he had worked there for a year after causing too many bar fights while wallowing in his own self-pity. The bar is run by the club, and yes, they're Valkyries if I hadn't worked that out. He had two options, leave or stick around and make a new life. He took the job offer and handled the bulk of the club's finances.

Eric really loved to talk.

"So what about you? Very rarely do your sort stop in here, and especially not alone." He quizzes, wiping up spilt beer that a clumsy demon sent all over the countertop.

"I like to live dangerously," I tell him, looking at the wolf shifter that has come up beside me with little interest. He, on the other hand, seems to be the opposite. "Can I help you?"

"Ah, can I buy you a drink, please?"

"I'm good. Thanks." He goes back to his table where his friends all laugh at him.

"I can tell that about you. I may not have my abilities, but I still have my wicked senses," Eric smirks. "More, lemonade?"

"Yeah, why not. It's not like I have to drive home." He laughs. "I'm trying this new thing of being sober."

"Good. All the booze and drugs in the world won't fix whatever is bothering you," He says seriously. "Took me a while to see that, but good on you for trying. But, if that's the case, why come here?"

I decided to take my chances.

"Does the name Kale Farrington mean anything to you?"

"Hm, no. Not that I can think of." He pours a whiskey for the demon at the other end of the bar and sends it down. "Should it?"