Chapter Ten

Time to switch things up. For this chapter, only Shiro's POV will be explored.

Shiro's POV:
      When the dinner party began, Keith didn't show up. I bit my lip, my worry sky-rocketing. Knowing Keith, he could've overreacted to the situation, and have done something impulsive and reckless.

     Everyone was sitting down and laughing. Lance was trying his best to impress Allura by showing her the in and outs of being a Paladin. Pidge was constantly correcting Lance when he told Allura something stupid. Hunk was chatting with Coran about his newest recipe.

     But Keith was nowhere to be found.

     I couldn't take it anymore, and got up. "I'm going to check on Keith, he should be here by now."

    I got a weird look from Pidge, acknowledging that I was acting sort of paranoid. But I didn't care, I had to trust my gut.

    But right when I was about to leave, I saw a familiar raven-haired mullet enter the room.

    Keith sat down and started piling food on his plate. "Sorry, guys. I overslept, I hope I didn't keep you waiting."

    Pidge slyly smiled. "It's a good thing you got here when you did, our leader was about to search the whole castle!" She teased. "Also, no, we didn't wait so you're okay."

    My face turned a bit red and I saw his blush too. For a second he looked pure and unbothered, his eyes shining a bit. But then his eyes darkened, and his burdens weighed him down again. He smiled, but it wasn't real. "That's funny, Pidge. He's just doing his job."

    I settled myself down and made eye contact with Keith. Something was off about him.

    But I didn't want to call attention to him. I'd talk to him in private.

   But that's what I always tell myself, yet when we do talk it only confuses me more...?

    I shook my head a bit then put on my leader face. I congratulated Allura and Lance with a speech, and laughed with the other Paladins.

    About halfway through the dinner, Keith started to lighten up. His worries were pushed aside as I saw him come to life, like he was forcing himself to enjoy it.

    Then, he stood up. "I have an announcement to make."

    The Paladins looked surprised. Then, even more so when Keith pulled out his red bayard.

    "You can't intermingle bayard and Lion colors, so Lance," Keith smiled, sadly but proudly. "Come get your new bayard."

    Lance got up, and took the bayard. "Dude... are you sure you're okay with this?" He looked confused and bewildered, but also excited at the same time.

    Keith nodded his head. "I'm sure. You deserve it, Lance."

    Lance started tearing up a bit, and grabbed Keith into a hug. Keith laughed a little, and hugged back.

     After that, Keith sat down. Lance gave his bayard to Allura, and everyone celebrated.

     At the end of the dinner, I went to say goodnight to everyone as a whole when I realized Keith was saying goodnight to everyone individually.

    "Thanks, Keith." Lance said admirably.

    "You'll be a great red Paladin, Lance." Keith smiled, giving him a long hug.

    He did that with everyone, telling them things along the line of 'You'll do great, I wish you luck.'

    Almost like he was saying goodbye.

    When he got to me, he couldn't look me in the eye. With everyone leaving, I couldn't resist. Without thinking, I quickly brought him into a tight hug. My fingers threaded through his hair, and I felt the sudden urge to protect him. Like he was extra precious than usual.

    "Keith, I don't know what you're planning on doing..." I started. "...but you need to think about it. Just because you aren't a Paladin doesn't mean your not valuable to the team. You're so valuable..." I hugged him tighter.

   "...to me, Keith. Remember that. You may not feel the same, but I love you."

Keith was silent in my chest and I waited awhile before letting him go.

"Goodnight, Shiro." His voice was hoarse and quiet. He smiled at me, but his eyes were sad.

Before I could do anything, he ran off.

I stood in the room alone, bewildered, when I suddenly realized something.

My shirt is wet.

Had Keith been...crying?

I bit my lip and thought to myself. Finally, I started walking to Keith's room. It was locked and quiet, he was probably sleeping.

I'll catch him tomorrow. I assured myself.

........................

All night I couldn't sleep. I felt like something was off about Keith, the way we hugged, it felt perfect. Like a happy family, almost. But the thing is; We're not happy.

I rolled out of bed and worked out a bit to try and ease my mind, but to no avail. I started feeling paranoid.

I should go check on him.

But before I could make a move, a voice was brought up on the altean intercom.

"Paladins!! Report to the main room IMMEDIATLY! This is not a test!" Allura.

I didn't need anyone to tell me twice. I grabbed my jacket and raced to the room.

Everyone was in their pajamas. Pidge looked wide awake, likely playing games. Hunk was yawning like there was no tomorrow. Keith was nowhere to be seen. Lance was still wearing a face mask-

Wait.

I scanned the area.

"Where the hell is Keith..?!" My tone came off surprisingly paranoid and terrified. All the Paladins got scared looks on their faces, waking up as they realized that Keith was nowhere to be seen.

Everyone began to scramble to look for Keith when Allura called out our names. "PALADINS!"

We all went silent.

"The reason I called you was to see if you were all here."

Hunk looked confused. "Why would you do that?"

"Because someone just stole one of the escape pods off the ship!!"