Chapter Twenty One

Keith's POV:

"I'll be back before you know it." Shiro said softly, kissing my forehead goodbye.

He, and all the other Paladins, were standing in their Paladin armor, the Lions ready for the big mission.

After Shiro and I made up, Shiro told me about their plans. Iolyro was a planet that had been recently taken over by Galra forces. After months of hacking and studying the crew, Pidge was able to find a way to break into the base's coding and disarm the machines. The citizens were still on Iolyro, and are one of the most powerful populations in that part of the solar system. If Voltron can save them from the Galra, they could join the coalition along with the multiple other planets that follow Iolyro's lead. It would be the biggest breach for Voltron yet!

      But in order to do this, Voltron has to travel to the far end of the solar system. This would take weeks to complete, meaning they'd be gone for an entire month.

     Today they were leaving. The night before, Shiro held me so close I knew he was regretting leaving.

     It was hard to see everyone in Paladin armor, and not be standing beside them going into battle. I felt a sad feeling in my heart as Shiro pulled me into a final hug.

    "Promise me you'll stay safe, and that you'll call me in my Lion regularly." Shiro insisted.

    "I promise, Shiro." I said quietly, not wanting to let him go.

     But alas we did, and after one last kiss, Shiro started to his lion.

    But before he got in, he stopped.

    "Keith?"

    "Yeah?"

    "Call me Takashi."

     My eyes widened and my heart skipped a beat. I could feel heat rise to my cheeks. His first name!!

     With a final smirk at my reaction, Shiro disappeared inside his Black Lion, and took off.

     Coran grinned at me. "It's just the two of us, aye? We'll have to play some old Altean games, from back when I was a chap!" He twirled his mustache.

     Board and card games have never been to my liking before. "Maybe later. I should eat..."

     Coran shrugged. "Alrighty then. Then if you'll excuse me I've got to work on those updates to the lion's boosters!" He scurried away.

     And I was alone again.

             ...............................

    The next two weeks spiraled down. At first, I tried to keep a happy mindset, like Shiro would want. I called him twice everyday and played with Cosmo. I even tried out Coran's Altean games. But they were all in Altean, and ended in disaster.

     But after a week or so, my hopes plummeted. I'd been without Shiro for so long, and video calls were getting harder to hold since our sleep schedules were different. Plus, half the time Shiro was in a place we couldn't reach them.

      The time between our calls increased, and my anxiety began to rise. I had no idea where Shiro was and if he was safe until he made that video call.

      Then, a week into the trip, he stopped video chatting. There was no clear connection anymore. Pidge kept us updated through a complex texting system, but it did not satisfy my cravings.

      My depression got really out of hand.  I started eating a lot more, my tummy getting to be a higher percentage of fluff to baby. I would sit in my room and just lay down, dozing and waking up in endless periods.