Chapter 13

CONNOR POV

I invited Evan to the treehouse again. He really loves it. He loves trees just as much. I feel like he'd want a treehouse to live in when we- he gets a house.

No one's home and that's why I took him here. I have good intentions, I swear. I just don't want anyone bothering us or being annoying. Zoe's good at both. Evan seems to like her though.

"What now?" I asked after he told me about how much he loves the treehouse.

"I don't know."

"Huh. Oh, question. How exactly did you break your arm?"

He looked down at the cast that had six giant letters making up my name scribbled on it. "Um I fell."

"Off what?"

"A tree," he said quietly.

"Of course you did."

"Yeah. I was..with Jared. I was with him and we were at the national park I work at. We were running around and I wanted to climb the tallest tree in the middle of the park. So I did. And I fell from maybe thirty feet up."

"Damn. I'm guessing he took you to the hospital?"

"Oh. Um. Yeah."

"Wow. He's not as assholey as I thought."

"Guess not."

We went inside to get something to eat. There, we saw Zoe and her friend, Alana. They've been best friends since they were in diapers. They play in the jazz band together.

"Hey Ev! And Connor," Zoe said, less cheerfully when she said my own name.

"Zo, I'm gonna head upstairs and get some homework done," Alana said.

"Yeah," she replied. "So what's up? Hanging with Connor, huh," Zoe asked Evan.

"Yeah. We were in the treehouse. I just love trees."

"Sounds fun. Why do you like trees so much?"

"One, they provide oxygen. Two, they're really pretty. I especially love them in the fall, when everything turns orange and yellow. And third, they're fun to climb."

I took a step forward. "It's how he broke his arm, actually."

Zoe's face turned from interested to uninterested quickly. "Oh. Ironic, huh," she chuckled. Towards Evan. "Well I'm going to do homework with Alana, so bye."

I grabbed the Ritz crackers and some cheese and headed back outside.

Evan looked at me. "That was weird."

"Huh?"

"She seemed happy, then turned to unhappy. Is she okay?"

"She's fine. She just.. She and I don't get along very well. Our relationship could be better. I wish it was, but it isn't."

"Oh. Why?"

"I mean my parents get all mad whenever she does something and blames it on me. I tend to take anger out in ways I shouldn't, let's put it that way. I just don't like.. us, I guess."

"Why?"

"God, because I just fucking don't, okay?!"

He lowered his hand, still holding his cracker. He looked down slightly.

"Shit," I muttered. "I'm sorry I yelled. I'm just angry and depressed all the time. I don't know."

"It's okay," he said, putting his hand on mine. On, not in. Close enough.

~•~•~

Ooohh cheese and crackers

Well now I've introduced all the characters. Now it's time for real fluff (and angst) to begin! ❤️

See y'all in the next chapter!