Chapter 16

**This chapter will include a little bit of blood and stuff. Nothing super graphic and descriptive because ew, but here ya go.**

~•~•~

EVAN POV

I didn't get much sleep last night. The guilt from overreacting at my mom was keeping me awake. I got up for school half an hour early because I was so awake.

My mom was up too. She gets up early so she can go to work early. She heard my footsteps and turned her head. "Evan, are you up?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

I sat at the table with her. "I'm sorry about yesterday night. I was overreacting and it kept me up all night."

She took my hand, squeezed it tightly and said, "It's okay. I understand that I do hover a little bit, but I'm just so happy that you're happy. I kinda just wish we could talk to each other, you know?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry we don't. Well, sorry I don't."

She just came around the table and hugged me.

She had to leave for work, so I went on with my regular morning routine. Shower, breakfast, leave. Simple and boring.

At school, I told Connor about my mom and he didn't care, so that's good. He was just glad my mom didn't get all upset over the fact that I like a guy. I was too.

Jared sits with me and Connor at lunch everyday, now. He's totally ditched Rich and Jake. Good for him. They were mean.

After school, instead of going to Connor's treehouse, he brought me in his car and blindfolded me. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see. Never mind, you're blindfolded." He did an evil laugh. "No really, you'll like it."

"Okaay." The ride was only about ten minutes and there were a lot of curves and turns. I like that. They're fun.

"Aaaand we're here. I'm gonna guide you to the actual place." I got out of the car and he held my shoulders, turning me left then right until he said, "Okay, now you can look."

He helped me untie the bandana around my face and I looked around. The first thing I saw was a huge tree that was easily five times my height. That would be a good enough surprise, honestly, but then I looked down. There was a blanket with the classic red and white checkerboard-ish pattern that was laid out on the ground. There was the classic brown basket sitting on top. There was also a cute little vase with blue flowers in it. Connor was standing just behind me, grinning. "So...?"

"I love it!" I sat down. Next to the tree, obviously.

We ate all of the candy he brought in the basket. That's all there was. There were sour ones, chocolatey ones, fruity ones, everything.

CONNOR POV

The little candy picnic went perfectly. We just talked and took in the view. Also, he got his cast off this morning. He has an arm!

On our way back, he played that Elvis song, Can't Help Falling In Love. It's kinda like our song, according to him. It was a nice car ride.

I stopped at the red light a the intersection. I looked up at the street sign and noticed that Jared lives down there. I didn't know his house was on the way to Evan's.

The light turned green, so I went. Just then, some guy in a red car came hauling ass through the intersection. He didn't even attempt to brake as he crashed into the side of the car. He crashed into the side Evan was sitting on. The airbags inflated and Evan's had red dripping down.

Mine hurt, but I decided I was okay enough to get out and try to figure shit out. I couldn't tell if that was tears or blood running down my cheek.

I ran out and started screaming at the guy who hit us. He was obviously drunk. He stumbled out of his car and slurred everything he tried to say. "Duuude, look at your carrrr."

I could barely say anything. I tried to pry Evan's door open, but it was broken. He wasn't even moving. I slumped on the side of the car, sobbing so much it hurt to inhale.

~•~•~

:)