In We Go Then...

I've observed enough. So I decided to go in. The trouble being... my attire. I mean, come on. Going into town like I am now is just a bit stupid. It's too suspicious and out of place. I want something inconspicuous. Luckily for me, I am wearing something like that already. I regretfully take off my top hat, my tailcoat, and waistcoat and hide the in the hollowed out trunk of a tree near the South Gate. I take off my gloves and put them in a pocket, just in case I don't want my hands to be seen. I also wear my scarf normally now, that way, I can still hide my face if needs be. Can't run around committing atrocities with my face out in the open, can we?

So, to recapitulate, I was wearing a thin black long sleeved t-shirt, black skinny, black socks, black boots, a black scarf, and I had black gloves in my pockets. Yes I did have underwear, but I didn't think it necessary to say that... never mind... I don't want to break the fourth wall... oh wait... sh*t...

I started to walk to the South Gate. It was guarded by only two guards, and a few on the wall holding crossbows. I walked up to them. I was bubbling with rage at their very existence, and was itching to rip their throats out and force feed them their vocal cords! But... I had to control myself. I always kept a calm exterior. I've always had a typically bored, apathetic neutral expression, which ironically expressed nothing at all, so I had to not only hide my true emotions, but force fake ones out... yay...

"Halt! Who are you and why are you coming into Lescatie?" The guard demanded.

"M-m-my name I-is Katt, a-and I-I'm merely a tr-tra-traveller." I answered. Yes... it has been revealed. I am shy, and have a stutter. Great... this is why I have such a good inner monologue!

"That May be so, but what is your buildings here, traveller Katt?" He asked, less demandingly. It seems this might be a bit like in a video game... let's see...

"I-I-I'm h-here to s-se-settle d-down." I said.

"You're a child! And you look like you haven't eaten in weeks! You also don't look like you have much money in you... and you look like you haven't slept in a long time. Your eyes are so sunken!" he wasn't wrong. I hadn't eaten for about a week and a half because I've had too much work and I've been too lazy or too busy to cook or order something. I also haven't slept for about the same amount of time for the same reason. And I have no money. However, I may look young, but I'm seventeen years old! ... okay, my birthday is in a month... shut up... "listen here kiddo. Go to the church in the west of town. The priestess there runs an orphanage there."

"Th-thank you v-ve-very m-much s-sir!" I said. I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to bow or not though, so I just bowed my head instead. He chuckled.

"That's okay kid. Now run along. It'll be night soon, and I wouldn't want to see a kid on the streets. I don't want you to get robbed or hurt, you hear me? And don't get into any trouble!" He said, smiling at me. He waved at someone through the gate, and it opened. "See you 'round kiddo."

I waved back, smiling. Once through, I smiled at all the other guards and walked calmly to the west side of town. Yes I was going to go to the church. I had a few reasons. It's a roof with food. It's a good base of operations. I can corrupt the local religious system with Satanism. And I can climb the social ladder. Well, not myself, but I could get connections to higher ups. So, my plan is set.

Since I was finally through the gate, and no one was around, I could drop my cheerful act. My face fall to its dead, neutral state. My smile vanished, and my stair became cold and uncaring, calculating and observing. My expression told those around me that I wouldn't care if I murdered them all here and now, which was true. I wanted them all dead. Every single one of them. Of course, the other animals would be spared. All life forms aside from humans are to be spared from my wrath.

I walked at a stride, which was actually my normal walking speed, to the centre of the city. I looked at went west at the castle. After a few more minutes of walking, I saw a church. It had a large cross on the front. It seems this would be a similar church to the one from my world. You know... most religions. They all revolve around the same principles. In particular, abstinence. Most, if not all religions are based off of abstinence and make a lot of things sound like sins. Procreation is a sin. They call it lust. Anger against those who wrong you is a sin. They call it wrath. Not wanting to get up in the morning is a sin. They call it sloth. All of these are normal, yet apparently sinful. This church likely has the same ideas. Probably...

I walked up to the front of the building. I stared at its architecture for some time. It was quite modest. It was made of stone with a large wooden cross on each side of a bell tower, but it was very humble. It seems underfunded, perhaps. I wonder how this kingdom is doing financially. I would hope for this place to teach me a thing or two about politics, history, and geography, partly because I had finished my degrees in all the sciences. Seems unlikely, but I thought myself and got the degrees from public, government funded tests, but I was reluctant. Most of their teaching would be biased due to their "holy" beliefs.

Either way, it didn't matter. There was a school here anyway. I could have a look there later. Right now, I need to convince the church to let a complete atheist, verging on atheistic satanist, to stay at their orphanage. Maybe I should play the roll of a naïve child who has never been raised by people properly, and who hasn't been "enlightened". Yeah. That sounds about right.

I pushed the door opened slightly and stepped inside.