Routine

A few more months passed by. I made sure to keep track of time. It had been a year since my death. It was, in fact, my 'Deathday'. Since I killed that adventuring party, I seemed to have ranked up again in my Omnituens job. The first level up to Apprentice was when I could see without eyes. Now, I seem to be a Student, because now I can see from all angles of my body. I have eyes in the back of my head (not literally of course) and everywhere else. I could watch someone from the side of my hand. And it seems I don't need eyes to grow on the spot. I can just see. And I see everything simultaneously. I see everything around me at the same time. At least no one can sneak up on me anymore.

My body had rotted away, leaving only the skeleton. I thought it unwise to walk around as a skeleton, so I had possessed a recently dead wolf. It was the one with the least amount of visible damage. It seems it died from internal injuries. Internal bleeding, perhaps.

I walked slowly forwards. I still didn't have a goal, and I didn't think i would for some time. Foxy had grown to the size of a large tree. An Oak tree maybe... but that doesn't matter. What matters is that she had reached the Greater species rank! I myself had not reached that stage yet. She was now a Greater Spirit Fox. A group of adventurers had tried to hunt Foxy down, but I had... erased the problem from the face of this planet. They were weak. I only possessed the man with a bow at the back of the group and quickly shot everyone before stabbing the body I was in with a dagger.

We were currently clearing out a cave of its inhabitants. It was a small-ish cave, and thus it would be perfect for its purpose. It would be our Base of Operations. We then put some dead grass down about seven metres into the cave for Foxy as a bed, and let her go to sleep. I too curled up into a ball next to Foxy and stared at the entrance to the cave, seeing if anyone was about to come in,p so that I would be ready to defend.

Then, there was a routine. We got up, wondered about, me observing things that I found odd or new, and Foxy jumping about, killing monsters and adventurers. I didn't have a problem with her killing those. I even helped out now and again, practicing possession, telepathy, telekinesis, various elemental magics I had acquired from reading books I got from adventurers, and various other things. I would study books I got from adventurers and monsters to try and learn new things. We would then go back to the cave and go to sleep. Then we would wake up, and the routine would start again.

I thought about starting a new job. 'Omniscient'. I thought about it for a long time, and came to the conclusion that I would 'give it a go'. So with that in mind, I set out to not only observe, but retain everything I saw. It was hard for the first few months, but the it became easier. In fact, after a few months, I could now see through things, supposedly another 'level up' to the 'Omnituens' job, but now, I could also remember things a lot easier. I could now remember in vague detail everything I had seen. I suppose this was due to a rank up in the 'Omniscient' job.

This made it a lot easier to read. If I spread the pages so each side of each page was in contact with the air, I could pass my hand over it, seeing every page's content, and also retaining it's information to some degree. With that, I could understand vaguely what the book was about, and if I concentrated, I could attain a rudimentary understanding of how to do whatever the book tried to teach.

For example, if it were a book on fire manipulation (which I had gotten quite early one in my adventures), I would be able to understand how to use it to a small degree. From there, I would be able to practice, and after a week or so, I would have mastered the skill.

After a year, I had acquired several skills. I could now manipulate all elements, exempli gratia water, fire, earth, air, light, dark, electricity, and others. I could now conjure up to a kilogram or so of any substance. I was very excited for that last one, because it meant I could put a kilogram of caesium into a lake, and it would be beautiful. I didn't do that though. It would draw unwanted attention.

I had also been able to do more as a species. It was fascinating. I had found out that I was more visible in very dark areas. I could use telepathy, but not to communicate. I could an materialise for one minute and thirty seconds. I could possess dead bodies, was able to possess living things for one month. This was different from before when I could only use minor telepathy, I was much less visible, I could only materialise for thirty seconds, and could only possess living things for a day.

Speaking of unwanted attention, I had noticed a drastic increase in adventurers in the surrounding area. It wasn't a particular problem, but I was worried. The adventurers had started to become a lot stronger too, both me and Foxy often having to team up to kill them.

I had started to possess living people for a day or so to wander about the city of Lescatie. I had first asked about for news and various different informations. On the second possession, I had visited the library again. I had read almost all the books in there by now. I had read the entire magical section of the library as well, so now I was prolific in all magics known to humans. On my fifth possession, I had checked up on the orphanage. It was rebuilt and none of the orphans had died. There was one newcomer as well. Primera was doing well. She had started archery and had started for her final exams to go to the only university of Lescatie. As for Sasha, she was struggling, mostly financially. I had then stolen the pay of a bunch people, not much from each individual, but in total, it was a fair bit. I had then placed the money under her religious symbol. I did not encourage religion, but this way she would believe it was The Chief God Who did it. It would cause less suspicion. Nicholas had entered the Royal Guard and was already a Lieutenant.

All in all, everyone was alright. I had, however, started to spot posters here and there saying that it was suspected that there was a very strong monster nearby killing adventurers. There was a large reward for any information, and there were a few from the Royal Guard preparing 'just in case'.

This could be a problem...