Time Lapse

As all things come to an end, so did the monsters and humans. They all died fifty years or so after the last human male died due to exhaustion after having too much sex. It was rather remarkable how something so trivial could cause literally everything to die. Thankfully, the wildlife survived. That is, for a few thousand millennia before the sun grew too hot for the planet to sustain any form of life. I, myself, burned alive under the hellish heat from the sun.

The days did "fly by". They passed just as slowly as one would expect. What's more, I couldn't sleep. The intense heat prevented it. So, I was stuck on a boiling rock with no atmosphere and no magnetosphere, no oxygen or air to speak of, and I was screaming in constant agony. Day by day, the sun stayed the same. Year by year, it stayed the same. Century after century, I noticed a tiny change. Entirely negligible, though. That is... until it was right in front of me.

It was now a red giant. The glaring red light from the ball of nuclear fusion glowered at me as I glowered back. My eyelids and skin had long since burnt off, along with any nerves. I was a skinless lump of meat. Luckily for me, however, a particularly strong solar flare swept me off the surface of the planet towards the outer edges of the solar system. I gasped and spluttered, the lack of oxygen still being just as bad as it was the first day. I gasped at the cold vacuum of space. Nothing answered.

I finally landed on Titan, one of the moons of Jupiter. What was remarkable about this moon was that it had an atmosphere (of primarily methane), liquid water oceans, and Jupiter protected it from the sun. There, I had a bit of a respite. My skin and nerves grew back. As did my hair, and nails, and other such things. I built myself a home from stacking rocks upon one another in front of a cave. It was shoddy at best, but was still usable. Now... the hunger.

Yes, I had not eaten in aeons, but the searing pain of constant burning from immense amounts of heat distracted me from the pangs of hunger which now plagued my days. I went ravenous within a week. I exited my makeshift home and scoured the land in search of any sustenance, and yet I found none. The water was undrinkable, yet I still drank. I drank and drank to sate my hunger. Each day, I must have drunk at least a dozen litres. And yet I still found nothing to eat.

By the end of the second month, I curled up into a little ball in a cave and waited. I waited and waited for something to evolve into something edible. I waited and waited, but all that changed was the ocean, which was shiny during the night. In other words, bacteria had appeared. Or perhaps it was there the entire time, but only now had it multiplied sufficiently. And I waited. I watched the sun get redder and redder.

One day (which one, I do not know, for I had lost count only a few days after being stuck on the flaming ball called Earth that had, by now, been swallowed by by the star. And it still grew until, as expected, it imploded, and a supernova happened. The sheer forced of it blew me of Titan, along with its atmosphere. I knew that moon would not survive. Now would Jupiter, or Saturn, or any other astrological body in our solar system, leaving only a white dwarf. The decaying core of a star.

I drifted off into the cold reaches of space. No heat. No light, except for that of the stars. No nothing. Just pain, and a constant dread of what was to come. Eras passed me by, dragging on. I passed nebulas. I watched stars form, and stars die. Eventually, I watched as the last light in the dark universe flickered out in the Last Supernova. It was not spectacular or special. It was just like any other. Far, far away.

And here was the age of the Black Holes. Not long after the Last Supernova, I crossed an event horizon. A few minutes after that — it seemed funny to think about minutes after so long —, I was crushed into a singularity. A point infinitely small and infinitely dense. One could say that everything had been squashed into the space of a plank length, but much smaller and much denser. There, I knew nothing. I could feel nothing, despite my regeneration attempting to repair me. The next thing I knew, a horrifying event took place. The black hole I was in collided with another to create a much larger black hole. This, over an unimaginable time, repeated itself over, and over, and over, and over. It was safe to say that I was in a "Supermassive Black Hole".

     Gradually, and I mean gradually, the black hole slowly radiated itself away, and so it got smaller, and smaller, and smaller, leaving only me. My immortality kicked in once more and regret me from the impossible. I was back, but not the same. Nothing was the same. There was nothing left. Complete nothingness. No light, no nothing. There were no stars, no black holes, no black dwarfs. Nothing. Just me. Alone.

     That was only about 1 x 10^-84% of the universe. To put that into perspective, I had to wait thousands of millions of billions of trillions of googols of googolplexes times that long to finally die, for that was when the universe finally, after such a long wait, died along with me. Despite everything already being invisible to me, and there being no sound, or sensation, I knew I had died. It was bliss. I could feel my body getting lighter. I could feel everything being relieved. I felt as though my had been laid to rest on the softest of beds, under the softest of covers, my head on the softest of pillows. And then, my eyes opened...

     I was dead, and in the afterlife...