Rise Above

“So, tell me all about it!” Stephenie demanded through the computer screen.

“Well, the company is willing to take me back once I get everything sorted out with my parents. In the meantime Hayden will take my place as acting CEO-”

“Not that! I mean what’s it like at your new school.”

Valerie giggles, adjusting the volume on her computer, “Sorry. Well, the building is very well-kept for a public school, and so far, it’s been very sunny. The academics are pretty average, although the school has its fair share of intelligent students-”

“NO NO NO!” she shouts, causing feedback from the speakers, “I mean school smack! Gossip! Drama! OTPs!”

“...what?”

She slams herself into her desk chair in frustration, “Ugh, Val, to be honest, I’m surprised you survived high school at all.”

“Well, I’m not sure if I have any school gossip, I’ve only been there about a week.” she admits, “But, I did meet some other kids.”

This peaks her interests, she turns her chair towards her computer, “Do tell.”

“Well, first I was approached by Flash and Liz. I later learned that Flash is the star of the basketball team, and Liz is a cheerleader. They’ve been dating on-and-off.”

“Ugh, sweaty sports guys.” Stephenie sticks out her tongue in disgust, “I understand they’re easy to manipulate, and most of them come from money, but is it really worth it?”

“Flash is friendly...to me. But he’s also a bully, and Liz seems okay, if only a little territorial of Flash.” she tells Stephanie, making sure to avoid mentioning her pheromones.

“Oh god.” she pulls her head back so it hits the back of the chair, “This is just getting better. You better watch out for Liz. Those kinds of girls are nothing but trouble when they’re trying to protect their man. Believe me, I know.”

“Yeah, well, hanging out with them isn’t my number one priority. I also met another couple, and they’re much nicer. And we have much more in common.” Valerie tells her, “They’re names are Peter and Gwen. They’re a for real couple, unlike Flash and Liz. Gwen is an intern at Oscorp, and Peter is this awkward emo hipster who’s also a photographer.”

“Hang on...Peter Parker?” she asks, “Of Midtown High?”

Shocked, Valerie stammers, “Uhm...yeah...why, do you know him?”

“OMG yes! I follow him on Instagram, he takes awesome pictures. Did he not tell you? Oh...that’s right, you don’t use social media.” Stephanie realizes, “...he’s pretty hot too.”

“He’s not hot! He has that stupid haircut that flips up.” Valerie argues, “Besides, he and Gwen are dating, and it wouldn’t be cool if I took him from her.”

“God, why do all the guys you meet off-limits? You need to get back into that school and find some single guys!” she declares.

“I don’t know Steph. You know dating has never been high on my priorities.” she admits, playing with one of the pencils on her desk.

“Haven’t you ever heard of those girls who don’t date in high school, and go on to be forever alone, and live in an apartment with a dog and two cats?” she asks.

Valerie looks behind her to see the white-painted walls of her bedroom, “I got the apartment part down. But I don’t think they allow pets…”

“That’s not the point!” she shouts angrily, “Doesn’t Flash or Peter have any friends they could introduce you to?”

“Well, Flash has his other jock friends, and Peter’s kind of a loner, but I do remember him mentioning a friend that’s studying in Europe.”