Sins of the Past

Harry makes a run for it, bounding through the hallway and sharply turning the corner, dodging several students along the way.

“Holy crap dude, did you have any idea that was Harry Osborn?” Flash asks one of his friends.

“No way dude, and he was at our school this whole time? his friend replies.

Valerie pushes through Flash’s friends’ blockage and goes after Harry, tracking him down to the now empty courtyard,

“Hey...you alright?” she asks him, finding him huddled under a tree.

“My...my secret’s out.” he mutters, “Now you know.”

“Yeah, but how long did you think you were gonna be able to cover that up?”

He shrugs, “The staff were willing to cover me up. They changed my name on the roster, let me wear the sunglasses indoors.”

She raises an eyebrow, “And...how were you able to do that?”

“I’m Harry Osborn, I paid them off, how else would I do it?”

Harry Osborn, Mr. Osborn’s son. Although she knows who he is just from the last name, she’s not entirely sure who he is.

“Uhm...yeah, kind of new to New York, remember? I’m sorry but...I don’t really know who you are.”

He smiles, “That’s probably for the best.”

“But what I would like to know is: why go to such great lengths to conceal your identity?” she asks, sitting under the tree beside him.

He shrugs, “You saw how those guys reacted to me. The name Osborn has a certain weight to it, a certain, predisposed expectation. Sometimes I just want to be nobody.”

“You’re no nobody to me Harry!” it’s Liz, in her cheerleader outfit with the entire team also in uniform, “C’mon girls!”

They all get into a single-file line and Liz claps her hands together while the other girls raise their pom-poms, “Let’s go! Harry! Harry!”

Harry lowers his head and slaps his hand to cover his face, “This isn’t happening.”

“We love you Harry!” they cheer.

He gets up and walks off, pushing past the cheerleaders without any kind of acknowledgement. This leaves Valerie, sitting under the tree, with the cheerleaders awkwardly standing around her,

“Well, you certainly tried your best.” she nods, before standing up and walking to class, leaving them further confused.

  Valerie arrives at SapphireTech’s workshop to find Mr. Torger waiting for her,

“Thank goodness you got my text-”

“You better have a good explanation for this. I cancelled tutoring freshmen with Eddie for this.” she snaps at him impatiently.

“Well, you see, Mr. Osborn just ordered some major adjustments for the suit. He...he wants us to equip it with weapons, bombs, grenades, the works. Do you know the kind of legal paper we’ll have to go through and still complete the suit on-time?!”

So that’s what Mr. Osborn meant by “fixing chinks in his armour”, although this is a little more literal than what she’d imagined.

“I’ll get it done, somehow.” she mumbles, before walking toward her office.

“Also, you’re slated for a meeting in half-an-hour.” he shouts, still standing in place.

She turns around, surprised, “Wha...they’re not suppose to know I’m back yet. Shouldn’t it be Hayden attending these meetings?”