Arrival

Tarantula and Spider-Man rest on their usual building after a long night of non-stop crime-fighting.

“I never realized how much crime actually happens in Manhattan.” she comments.

“Well, that’s why we’re here to stop them, right?” he replies, casually stretching out his arms.

“I don’t know to be honest.” she confesses, “I mean, who came first, us or them?”

“Woah, you’re asking some deep questions there Tar.”

She raises an eyebrow, “Tar? Like the roofing material? That’s your idea of a nickname?”

“Hey, people call me Spidey, you should have some kind of nickname. It’s only fair.” he points out.

“I don’t need a nickname, besides, people don’t know me as well as they know you, you’re more visible in the media, and more likable too.” she argues.

“Hey, hey, you’re likable too. And besides, the only real media coverage I get is getting slandered by the Daily Bugle.”

She sits on the edge of the roof, swinging her legs over the edge, “True, but then again, who still reads the newspaper?”

They notice a train approaching, riding up the rise that goes above the city streets.

“Looks like my ride is here.” Spider-Man notes, “See you tomorrow, Tar.”

He swings off of the building, and launches himself so that he makes a perfect landing onto the top of the train. Tarantula rolls her eyes at the thought of Spidey’s new nickname for her, but she notices the train he’s taking. It’s the same route she takes to school everyday. Then again, New York is a big city, but could he be heading for Midtown? She’s slowly learning more about the mysterious Spider-Man.

   Valerie arrives at school feeling tired but satisfied from the previous night’s escapades. She opens her locker and organizes her books as well as take out the ones she’ll need for the day. She closes her locker door to reveal Liz practically beaming at her,

“Hey, I saw you on TV last night!” she cries excitedly, “I didn’t know you did all that cool stuff.”

She shrugs, avoiding eye contact with her, “It’s a living.”

“I can see why you hang out with Gwen and Peter. You guys probably all talk about all that smart stuff, right?”

Valerie doesn’t give her a response. She slings her backpack over her shoulder and starts walking, but Liz follows her,

“Hey...I’m sorry about yesterday. I, I got out of hand.”

Valerie sighs, “It’s cool.” she mumbles.

“It’s just...have you ever really felt like...like someone belongs to you?” she asks, “I mean, not in a creepy way, but like, in a romantic way, and I can’t...ugh, words!”

She stops and thinks about that. Has she ever felt that way? Her immediate answer would be no, but then she remembers how jealous she was when Felicia was flirting with Hayden. And while Hayden didn’t belong to her by any stretch of the imagination, she does certainly care about him.

“Yeah, I think I know what you’re talking about.” she tells her.

“You do?” she asks hopefully, “Thanks Val...for understanding, you know?”

   Just as she walks into the classroom she feels her phone vibrating in her pocket. Who’d be calling her at this hour? Probably just a telemarketer, but just to be sure, she takes it out and sees that the person calling her is Mr. Torger, her assistant. If he’s calling, this has to be important. Stepping outside the classroom, she answers her phone,