Partners In Danger

Tarantula approaches the Williamsburg Bridge, where something is already clearly going down. She looks over from a nearby building and from her view she can see a large creature running through the gridlock of cars. So that’s what the news meant by a “disturbance”. She looks around, no sign of Spider-Man. She hesitates, her heart pounding, can she handle this on her own?

“Yo!” a quick burst of air sounds as a red and blue figure flashes by, “Was wondering when you’d show up!”

Tarantula dives down, gainly speed before opening up her webbed wings and soaring back up again, “Hey buddy, I got here first!”

“Fair enough, but can you beat me to the scene?” he asks, slinging another web to give himself a boost.

She watches as Spider-Man manically swings ahead. He’s just as nervous as she is, but that isn’t gonna stop him from pulling his usual quips. Tarantula takes a deep breath, before launching a web of her own. Closing her wings, she lets the web throw her up. She lets go, flying above even Spider-Man, and as she begins to descend, she opens her wings up again,

“Hey, that’s not fair! You’ve got those wingey thingies.” he calls out, now struggling to catch up.

“Do you know what that thing is up ahead?” she asks, as the Williamsburg Bridge draws ever closer.

“No idea. I just saw the commotion and figured I better check it out.”

“Same.” it’s a miracle they can communicate with each other while in this kind of motion. But then again, having enhanced senses does help.

Tarantula lands on the closest bridge tower, while Spider-Man lands on the ground. The bridge is in complete chaos, people are running out of their cars, there’s screaming and shouting. The creature is easy to spot among the crowd, he turns to see Spider-Man, and begins making a run for it. In his haste, the large, scaly monster begins pushing cars off of the bridge. Spider-Man goes for the nearest one, launching a web and slinging it to safety. Tarantula dives off of the tower, releasing several webs at once. Throwing them out, they attach to the cars, and holding the other ends, she opens her wings and attaches them to the bridge. She then sees that the creature is getting away, and chases after it. Easily catching up, she jumps up and launches herself off of a nearby car, landing on the creature’s shoulders. The monster, nearly off of the bridge, swings around rampantly, trying to shake her off. Building up a charge in her left hand, Tarantula aims the blast right at his face. It connects, exploding in a shock of white light, sending her flying off, fried from the blast. She smashes into the railway of the bridge, her arms tearing against the bars before they break off and leave her to fall into the waters below. She shoots a web up and it catches the bridge just in time. She feels her back hit the water before the whiplash shocks her entire body. She leans up to begin climbing her web, hearing several bones snap back into place. Black smoke still searing off of her, she messily climbs up the rest of the way onto the edge of the bridge and limps after the creature. Her vision fading in and out, she is still able to pick out the large creature, but something’s different. He’s growing smaller, his figure becoming more human-like. He stumbles off of the bridge and into an open manhole. She collapses, unable to pursue him any further. She can hear police sirens incoming, and knows that she needs to get out of sight right away, lest she get caught by the police.

Just then, she feels a hand reach under her waist, lifting her up, “Hey, I gotcha.”

Through her heavy breathing, she slowly begins to find speech possible, “Wha...why…?”

“You don’t think I’d leave my sidekick, would I?” he asks, launching a web with his other hand, and taking off just as the headlights began to surround them.