Molly: In the Belly of the Beast

She launched herself out the door, landing in his arms

She launched herself out the door, landing in his arms. Catching her with breath-snatching ease, he didn't even grunt with the burden of her added weight. He spun her and let her slide down the length of him. Heat of another sort assaulted her, making her knees weak. His males watched, some scowling, others nodding.

"There are rooms on the ship, plenty for you and your males to use. Jasmine used to be a traveling research ship. The owner left it to my father before he..." She glanced away, biting her lip to still her sudden tears.

"You lost your father too?" Anzar captured her hand in his and traced a pattern on her open palm. "I am sorry, temaar."

"They found him under the debris, his wounds almost fatal. The news of Cammy and Harper's deaths..." Molly shrugged, spun her hand to grasp his and tugged him toward Jasmine. "The entrance is this way. Call your males to follow." The door slid open as they approached her ship, and she stepped into the cooler and darker confines. She led Anzar along various passages and through the cargo hold. Climbing a ladder wasn't the quickest way to reach the upper deck, but it used the least amount of power. The passage would lead the males past their cabins.

"Need anything or have any questions, just ask MARC."

"I'm available as needed," MARC's voice reverberated off the bulkheads.

"He's everywhere on the ship, and I mean everywhere. Inside each cabin is a shower, use it. I promise you won't regret it. When you're ready, ask MARC to direct you to the mess hall. MARC, explain the intricacies of the shower and laundry closet."

"Acknowledged, oh-captain."

"Damn rust bucket," she mumbled.

"Do I get a ... cabin?" Anzar asked as he trailed behind her.

"Yes, of course. As Chieftain, an officer's cabin is yours to use." She twisted to watch him climb up, his shoulders brushing the sides.

"Is it close to yours?"

"There are two empty cabins close to mine," Molly said as she climbed another ladder to the upper deck. It was a smaller section of the ship with more viewing panels. Palming the door, she entered the cabin when the light flashed green. "This is yours."

She strode to the open-plan bathroom. "You step into the cubicle like this. It will adjust to accommodate your size." She demonstrated and stroked the white dial on the wall. "This dial sets the temperature. Twist it to the left for colder, to the right for hotter. Press the center to switch the water on or off." She darted to the wall, pressed it, and the door swung open. "Toilet."

"Toilet?" He frowned.

"Yes, it's not a hole in a cave, though I like the ambience of yours." She smiled. "It flushes automatically. Press here to close, and this panel is for cleaning. Place your garments inside before you shower, and when you step out, use the towels. Your clothes will be clean by the time you're dry."