1. Miserably Single

Romance, Fantasy & Humor. If that's your thing, read on....

_______________

"Amy" Sophie barged into my cabin waving a stash of papers in the air "What the heck is this?"

"There is a door right there for a reason Soph. Please knock" I leaned into my desk and rested my head tiredly on my palm "I'm your boss, remember?"

She rolled her pretty little sheep eyes at me without fear. Seriously, why do I get no special treatment from my employees? Is it because I'm a woman? Should I start a candle-march to protest against such blunt display of sexism?

"You mean a boss who's all set to drag us to bankruptcy?" she raised a brow, folded her arms under her chest and looked at me with a challenge "There's not a single appointment on your schedule after August. Will you please explain why you are going on an indefinite leave when you know there are high-valued client who demand your assistance"

Spirits! I hoped this woman wouldn't catch up so soon. Although I think I should be happy that my CFO is doing what she's paid for.

"We aren't that poor Soph. I don't think we will go bankrupt just because I wouldn't take up clients for the next couple of months"

"But it'll still put a huge dent in our pocket" she insisted.

"It won't" I assured her "I have my eyes set on a prospective client. I had to clear my schedule for them. I just need to lure them in and I don't know how long that will take. So I kept my schedule clean"

She narrowed her eyes at me in distrust "You got a big fish?"

I nodded "Leoline"

"Leoline?" her eyes widened "You mean The Leolines?"

I nodded again.

"But....but they are predators" she said "they don't need us. Plus almost all of them are mated already" she argued.

"Almost being the keyword baby" I smirked.

"No" She gasped "Arthur Leoline?"

I shrugged "My lips are sealed" I pretended to be busy with a file "Now get out and let me concentrate"

I held my breath until I heard the door shut after her. Heaving a sigh of relief, I tossed the pen in my hand across the room and groaned in frustration.

I should probably at this point at least discuss what business I run before my CFO makes people believe I'm a high-paid exotic hooker.

Here's the deal, I help people find their 'Happily ever after'. That's right, I'm a modern-day matchmaker for the unmatched.

Six years ago, at twenty-two I was jobless and desperately in need of a source of income. One drunken night, Sophie told me that I should make poking my nose into other people's business my business. The entire town knows how good I'm at that. So I took her advice very seriously and started my journey.

My first client was Mr. Jeffrey Tusk, a kind middle-aged elephant-shifter and also a widower. Mr. Tusk was very lonely and there were very few shifters of his kind in our town. I recalled Ellie, my housemate from university had an aunt and helped them meet up. The ship sailed smoothly even with the two elephants on board and I never looked back.

I started with neighborhood clients and then within two years, I had the entire town in my grasp. Last year, we opened our first branch in the capital city and I'm working on making it larger. It was a unique idea for the shifters. We even have an app dedicated to shifters dating even though my job is more than dating; we help shifters find a mate most suitable to their temperament. Each case is handled delicately. The dating is more for the young shifters who aren't looking for anything serious and of course can't afford our offline services.