2. The Living Dead

I can't believe he has the nerves to say that.

I blinked trying to come to terms with his words and also to possibly kill a little more time as I come up with a clever response. I can't lose in front of his parents. No. I need them.

"Arthur" his mother chided "That's a very rude and personal question"

Thank heaven for this woman. I could kiss her right now. I doubt she'll be sent to the hospital for that.

"I agree. Excuse my son for his rudeness, Amelia" George Leoline nodded "However I'll be lying if I say Arthur didn't get me a little curious"

'Arthur' lazily sipped on the poison in his hand and looked at us with disinterest.

I looked at Mace for help but he simply shrugged.

Can I tell them my childhood lover died or something? Sh*t no. I can't do that. I run Spirit's Match. The predators come to me for a second chance. They wouldn't come to me if I can't even give myself a second chance.

Asexual? Aromantic? Simply not interested in anything that moves?

Nah! I am going to have the most scandalous affair in the entire city once this project wraps up. They will definitely get a whiff.

"I don't know where you got that information from, Mr. Leoline" Deny it. Fervently. Yes, that's my only choice. I smiled sweetly at the devil "Your gossip circle doesn't have the strongest ears. Lot of snake friends? They have issues with sound frequencies" I said all of that with a smile "I do like keeping my love life private" I told his father and then glared at the devil "Unlike some people"

George Leoline chuckled which encouraged Mace to support me "I can totally attest to that, Mr. Leoline" he winked at me "lovely couple. I once had the fortune of meeting her boyfriend when I visited her office. She got all flushed. I keep asking her why she hides such a handsome stallion"

Bless you Mace.

I pretended to blush lightly, careful not to overdo it. I also took extra precaution to keep myself from looking at a certain Leoline. He's scary.

"That's lovely dear" Mrs. Leoline gushed seeming genuinely excited. Why and how she does that got me curious. But that's for another day. "I can see the glow of love on your face" she finished.

Woman! What?

"I guess we got a little sidetracked there" George Leoline said. Finally. "We have been meaning to give you a call for a while Amelia"

I did a happy dance inside my head.

"Are you guys getting married again?" Arthur interrupted him "is that why you need the matchmaker? I don't see any other use for her"

I glared at him which he returned with equal vigor. I would be lying if I say that didn't scare me.

"Now is not the place Art" his mother said softly.

"We would like you to schedule an appointment, Amelia" George Leoline continued "We believe we have some personal business with your institute and we would appreciate if you keep it under wraps just like that handsome stallion of yours" he smiled.

I beamed. Arthur let out a throaty roar before turning and storming out angrily.

Heads turned to us. Mace looked like he wanted to run after Arthur and pacify him. An angry Arthur isn't good for his business I suppose.

"Don't worry William" George Leoline assured him "He'll come around. He's a stubborn cub"

Cub? Really?